Single reservoir mixing station

Diman1974

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 2, 2024
Messages
40
Reaction score
29
Location
tracy, ca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a new reefer switching from the freshwater side. I just started my first 20 gallons AIO and doing a research to convert one of my larger tanks to saltwater (125 gallons).
Mixing 3-4 gallons for my current tank is not a big deal but I will need a proper salt mixing setup for a large tank. Most of the designs here and on youtube use double-bin setup (RODI and mixed) but I am planning to build a single reservoir station from 55 gallon open-top water drum from Uline.
Why is single reservoir method so unpopular? What am I missing? Attached is my planning sketch. It is ugly but self-explanatory. Please provide your feedback.

IMG_5124 (1) (1).jpeg
 
I mean, it looks good to me. Most likely, the reason double is more popular is because larger tanks are more popular for having a mixing station. I can't see any reason why you can't have just 1.
 
Having a separate RO/DI tank also gives you the benefit of having spare RO/DI water on hand if you need for top off, etc.
 
It's more convenient to have freshwater and saltwater separate,,, so you can refill your ATO (auto top off) container and/or do water changes without having to coordinate when you have either fresh or salt in a single storage container.

Beyond that, your idea seems fine,,, but I feel like that's a pretty big concern (to me, anyway).
 
It's more convenient to have freshwater and saltwater separate,,, so you can refill your ATO (auto top off) container and/or do water changes without having to coordinate when you have either fresh or salt in a single storage container.

Beyond that, your idea seems fine,,, but I feel like that's a pretty big concern (to me, anyway).
you are right about the coordination part. I came up with a simple solution. I will be using a whiteboard for reminders/notes
 
Even beyond that coordination, there's always a chance for a sudden, unexpected need for one or the other (RO/DI vs saltwater).
I have a 20 gallons Brute that I will connect to the RODI system with a float valve.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new