SithRico's RedSea Reefer 250

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Going to put this here, because I'm starting a build from the RedSea Reefer 250. I decided to join the ranks of the RedSea Clan. I really like the Reefer 250, and been looking to build a tank with a sump. The 250 is the perfect size for what I have room for. Making it a win-win for me. Just have to get the wife 100% on board with starting a new tank.o_O

A bit about myself. Been in the hobby for a little over a year. All my knowledge of the reefing hobby came from forums, YouTube and books. With trial and error, I started my first tank a JBJ 45 Rimless. I like the AIO aspect of tanks, just don't like that all my equipment can be seen. I haven't grown too much in the JBJ. I had 9 coral and 4 fish. I got hurt, in around Oct/Nov. Slipped on a water filled bathroom while making RO/DI. Kinda embarrassing to say, but it did a number on my neck. So much so that I stopped taking care of the JBJ because of the pain lifting water would cause. About 90% better I can take care of a tank, and want something I should have bought in the beginning. Like they say get what you want, or you'll regret it. There wasn't, at the time any LFS around to pick up livestock, that's why I never stocked the tank much. I wasn't up to picking up livestock online, because of worrying about losing money to deaths. It has helped me learn alot about the hobby though. This making me feel safe about pulling the trigger and going for a Reefer, and stocking it with bigger colonies rather than cheap thrills.

That being said, I haven't purchase the tank yet. Although I would like to get opinions, what nots, and ideas on ways to go with a build. I plan on taking my time.(Something else I only did 80% on the JBJ). I have a spreadsheet made out with equipment I plan on using and will post it. This giving a chance on not wasting money on useless equipment or time. Want to say Thanks in the mean time for any comments and hope to have an awesome tank build and a reef that rocks!

Last edited:

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats!! I am in process of upgrading to a 180 from my Reefer 250, but it's a great tank!! Turned my ATO into a fuge and used a 5g bucket for my ATO, was a huge help. The stock floatvalve stuck alot and the resevoir only lasted 2-3 days. The 5 gallon bucket gets me 7.

I'm also looking to make a large purchase (4 tangs) which will be upwards of $200, I'm actually planning on ordering online for the first time, since I'll receive free shipping and a 14 day warranty. Which is better than a LFS which offers no warranty. Just a thought if you are going to add multiple fish at once, online might be the best move financially. I can't afford to lose a $80 fish 2 days after purchase...

Salt

OP
OP
sithrico

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Saltine I have seen that as a big pain to a lot of reefers. That is one thing I am looking to fix during the build rather than later. I am in the same vote as you on purchases over the net now. I didn't know you got a warranty though. That is good to hear. Makes it worth going for those types of things.

OP
OP
sithrico

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone over things and think I have everything. Of course I'm not going to add the extras yet. i.e.(Cabnet lighting, piping, tubing, wood, plugs....) Those I don't really consider the meat of the build. I'm focusing on the high $$$ stuff right now.

Equipment List for the Build.

1. RedSea Reefer 250
  2. Return Pump Syncra Silent 4.0 Pump (951 GPH) - Sicce
    Changed to Reef Octopus Varios-4
  3. VorTech MP10wQD QuietDrive Propeller Pump - EcoTech Marine
    Changed to Maxspec Gyre XF230 w/new controller
    I will get another XF230 down the road if needed.
  4. ATO Osmolator Nano 3152 - Tunz Already own from previous build
  5. Florida Reef Rock (50lbs - Free Shipping) - Reef Cleaners
    Got and additional 30lbs to have enough for the Aquascape if needed.
  6. 2L Pond Matrix BioFilteration
  7. 30 lbs bag Miniflakes (aragonite crumbs, 2mm)
  8. Protein Skimmer Reef Octopus Classic 110INT 4” Internal Protein Skimmer
  9. Lights Kessil Spectral Controller
    Purchased this not knowing I would receive an APEX, and can't return.
  10. Lights Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue LED Light = 2
  11. Lights A-Series Mounting Arm - Kessil = 2
  12. BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor - Dual
    Changed to AQUAMAXX FLUIDIZED GFO AND CARBON FILTER MEDIA REACTOR - XS
  13. Jebao Programmable Auto Dosing Pump DP‑4
  14. Apex Controller System - Neptune Systems This is the 2016
  15. Red Sea Reefer 250 ClearView Lid - Artfully Acrylic

Last edited:
OP
OP
sithrico

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoop whoop! I got the ok from the boss(wife). To purchase the tank now. I signed up for BRS Facebook group buy and can get 10x points. Looking to purchase the tank, a light. Then use the points to either get another light or the return pump. I might upgrade to the Reef Octopus Varios 4. Still on the fence on the return pump. I'm so stoked right now. Like a kid in a candy store!

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great build. Very similar to mine in fact. Youre going to love the 250.

I have the varioS 2 with thoughts on getting a 4 or 6 and keeping the 2 as my backup. Theyre great pumps and dead silent.

If youll have the Apex day 1 you can consider using that to control your kessils. I know you already have their controller but if you can return it before you use it youll save a hundo for something else.

OP
OP
sithrico

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If youll have the Apex day 1 you can consider using that to control your kessils. I know you already have their controller but if you can return it before you use it youll save a hundo for something else.

I really want the Apex from the beginning, hope to win one!
APEX GIVEAWAY: Got socks for Christmas so now I guess have to win it!
(Not holding my breath although it would be awesome.)

I was actually thinking of returning it and maybe hold off on it until I get ready to build. I don't plan on opening boxes until I'm totally sure I have what I need and want. I'm going to take my time on the build, so maybe I'll have the funds by then to purchase one new. I look through ebay, facebook and such for any that are on sale. No luck yet. If I can get one less expensive, or Win one, I will definitely start day one.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly get buy w/o an Apex from day 1. I only mentioned it because i took the same aproach as you and just a few days ago took my kessil controller out and run them off the apex now. One less thing under the stand and extra outlet.
I think the only difference in our builds will be the skimmer and i also run 4 bulb T5 with my Kessils.

OP
OP
sithrico

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scurvy Good looking out. I've really been thinking about it now. Think it would be a smarter investment to start day one. I found with my tank now I focus more on what can I buy to fix....... I want to enjoy the new tank and be able to stock it without worries of messing up parameters too much. I think you swayed my decision a lot on this. Thanks.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to help. I wish i asked more before i set mine up. It would have saved me a good chunk of change.

Yep, The Apex can control your kessils so thats 100 saved on that controller. Your heater(s) so potentially another 50 to 80 there depending on what you were planning for.

That makes your spend upfront to monitor PH/Temp plus the others (i dont monitor ORP or Salinity) and notifications at a much more reasonable number.

I have mine controlling my T5's (3 plugs), Vario 2 return using one VDM port, kessils using the other VDM port, Heater, Skimmer and GFO reactor.

Plus getting it installed after the tank had been running a few months was a PITA! LoL

OP
OP
sithrico

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is on order. Suppose to know more tomorrow night about shipping to me. Purchased from www.bulkreefsupply.com on a group buy and got 10x points. That's like a 10% discount, only to use on their site though. I purchased the Varios 4 pump suppose to arrive on Friday. I also returned the Kessil controller. Going to look at getting an Apex control instead, saving the 99 for the Kessil control to an Apex control in the future. All about saving that money. Now with the points at BRS I have to decide. Do I want to get the plumbing parts or the skimmer with no charge to me? I've got some mock ups of the manifold I'm looking to build so I kinda know the part list. I also kinda want to wait for the tank to arrive so I can measure before building so I don't over do plumbing parts and not ever have a use for them again. Then on the other hand it would be awesome to say BRS gave me that skimmer for buying so much. My JBJ is going through some crazy blooming. Getting back on track with that tank. Just not sure where to put it while I put together this build. I don't want to get ride of the fish, but everything else I'm good with getting rid of. That's what's going on in the Rico House.

OP
OP
sithrico

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pump just got delivered
VARIOS-4 CONTROLLABLE DC PUMP (1050 GPH) - REEF OCTOPUS

Waiting on the Tank. Still no info on it. Not worried though it will get here. Gives me time to research things still. I'm on the fence so much on the Apex. Do I want to drop that much money now? Was thinking last night to just run the 250 without it until I really need it. Like after getting doser when I need to really watch parameters.

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing you might consider with the Apex.

If you get the current 2016 model with the Energy Bar 832 I would also consider the Wave pump vs the MP10.
It plugs into the 1link port on the Energy Bar, it can pivot up to 40 degrees on the mount and you can control it through Apex Fusion without any additional modules to plug in and capable of much higher flow all for less $$$.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya in the back n forth on purchases. You're. It rushing which is good. Think it through in what makes semse for you.

Good point by @Pongo. The WAV will do everything the MP10 will and more. You would need more than the one MP10 at some point as well. I run a Gyre and MP10 on mine.
To add to the apex value. Youll be spending 40-50 on a quality power strip if you decide against it. Food for thought....

Power: $40
Kessil Controller: $100
Heater controller: $50-100

Your at least galf way to the Apex, Almost all the way to the Jr. This is where i'd spend the BRS free $$

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also like that the Wav pumps are easy to uncouple from the magnetic mount and I use them to blow everything off of the rocks before a water change. You can't do that with an MPwhatever.

Also with the Apex - you can keep a running log of everything you do to the tank using the Fusion web interface.

When did I change the carbon, do a water change, add that fish, how's my calcium trending?
That log has probably saved me from making a ton of mistakes already.

OP
OP
sithrico

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 250 is all I have room for so the reason I went with it. I'm glad you guys chimed in. It makes me realize it probably is the better way to go. It's just the cost that makes me tremble some. It's an awesome system, but what did we do before that? Then you make sense If I was to add it all up it does come to be just a little more. I have a budgeting mind so I have to always wrap my head around it more than I probably should. Sometimes I don't see how people can just go out and drop hundreds of dollars without it bothering them one bit. Hahhaa
I'll have it figured out soon I hope.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back