Six line wrasse experience pros and cons?

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I’m thinking of getting a six line wrasse in the future just wanted to know everyone’s experience with them?
Tank size would be 35 gallons. Tankmates are pair clowns, royal gramma, and yellow watchman goby.
Would you recommend one in my size tank? I hear they are good at eating flat worms and bristle worms which I do have!
I would also consider a pink streaked wrasse but don’t know if they are as efficient as a six line wrasse but heard they are more peaceful.
Thanks In advance!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your clowns and gramma might not accept a wrasse... How big are they and how long have they been in the tank?
Bristleworms are good to have. If you see they are increasing in number, then you're overfeeding. As for flatworms, some only eat algae or small pods and those aren't generally a problem - you can siphon them out during water changes. The coral eating flatworms are a while other story though. Do you know what kind you have?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six lines are a great fish but you need tons of rockwork for one as they can be aggressive if not given enough territory.
Here’s my old 3’x2’x2’ tank that housed one in.
CCC75ED6-39B6-4F43-A029-A96C42F033ED.jpeg

OP
OP
C

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your clowns and gramma might not accept a wrasse... How big are they and how long have they been in the tank?
Bristleworms are good to have. If you see they are increasing in number, then you're overfeeding. As for flatworms, some only eat algae or small pods and those aren't generally a problem - you can siphon them out during water changes. The coral eating flatworms are a while other story though. Do you know what kind you have?
1 clown is about 2 inch and the other 1.25 inch. Gramma about 2 inch. Tank been running about 1.5 years.
As for the flatworms it’s the tiny brown ones on the glass. Looks like it eats algae. I don’t see it anywhere else but the front glass. Not sure if it’s a good idea to squash them? Thanks

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 clown is about 2 inch and the other 1.25 inch. Gramma about 2 inch. Tank been running about 1.5 years.
As for the flatworms it’s the tiny brown ones on the glass. Looks like it eats algae. I don’t see it anywhere else but the front glass. Not sure if it’s a good idea to squash them? Thanks
I wouldn’t squash them personally. Flatworms if there’s a mass amount of death they will nuke a tank.

Remy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my six line wrasses. Bold and attractive. They can be aggressive, especially to other wrasses. I would say what you have in there should be able to hold its own against one though if it does turn mean

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had any problem with my sixline wrasses. Never saw the aggression every one talks about. I really like that fish. It is independent, and marches at his own drums, ignoring the other fish in the tank. I like having to find it every day, as it goes in and out of the rocks, almost like playing find Elmo with me. But its name is rainbow, given to it by my granddaughter.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorites, have had one in most tanks I’ve had. IME, so long as you stock appropriately and strategically, and have a lot of rock with a lot of books and crannies, and ways for fish to break line of sight, they’re usually pretty well behaved (they will pick at some CuC and microfauna). I currently have one in a 28g (had it for around 18 months) with a banggai cardinal, valentini puffer, tailspot blenny, pinkbar goby, and a green clown goby

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand all the bad comments the six line gets. I had them in my tanks for sixteen years before I got out of the hobby, they are so fun to watch, always hunting around the rocks. It was one of the first on my list when i got back into the hobby last fall. I have a 32 gallon with 2 clowns, a royal gramma, a diamond watchman gobie and the six line with out any problems. I realize fish are individuals and I might just be lucky but I wouldn’t have a tank with out one.

Attachments

• C6A37A18-B8A4-4F3E-BE9E-30B1076FC92D.jpeg
    C6A37A18-B8A4-4F3E-BE9E-30B1076FC92D.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 80

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two different six lines in my 29 gallon, both played well with my pair of perc clowns which I've had for about 15 years. I tried adding a matted filefish in with my current six line and clowns. The clowns could have cared less, the six line really DID NOT like the intruder. The filefish was able to hide in a large nepthia and I was able to get it to feed, after a couple of weeks the wrasse was more tolerant. I was also making sure to feed more. Sadly, a week later the filefish was gone, not sure it was because of the wrasse or just being a picky eater.

As for eating pods, flatworms, tiny limpets...they are good at that.

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a six line who is a model citizen. You absolutely must have a lot of rockwork for them to hide in though. My wrasse is currently best friends with a silver fan tailed molly. They swim together and actively seek each other out.

My tank is a 75 and I don't yet have any other semi-aggressive fish in there, so that experience might change in the future. For the record, female clownfish are highly aggressive and territorial, so expect some fighting.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorites, have had one in most tanks I’ve had. IME, so long as you stock appropriately and strategically, and have a lot of rock with a lot of books and crannies, and ways for fish to break line of sight, they’re usually pretty well behaved (they will pick at some CuC and microfauna). I currently have one in a 28g (had it for around 18 months) with a banggai cardinal, valentini puffer, tailspot blenny, pinkbar goby, and a green clown goby
Your quote about breaking the line of sight is spot on with my experience. If he didn't see the matted filefish, he didn't care, he would just go poking in and out of the rocks.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to have a six line wrasse.
After hearing all the stories of how terrible they can be, I was a little worried so I made sure I bought the smallest one I could so that the other fish could be in charge. This seemed to work out well for me and I didn't see any aggression from the six line in the time I had it.
Was pretty cool watching it look over the rockwork for anything to munch.

Hawkaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had several six line wrasses. It’s been a great fish that’s not caused me any problems - but I’ve only had them in 55 and 120 gallon tanks with mostly larger fish - tangs, clownfish, angels, cardinal fish.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to banish mine to the sump to serve his sentence and break his will..lol. After a month he's since been a reformed model citizen in a functioning society.

Back