Six Line Wrasse

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently acquired a six line wrasse, he has killed a coral banded shrimp and is terrorizing my clowns. How do I catch the little guy? Also what would be a nice replacement fish for him, that isn’t a wrasse hole?

KoTS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently acquired a six line wrasse, he has killed a coral banded shrimp and is terrorizing my clowns. How do I catch the little guy? Also what would be a nice replacement fish for him, that isn’t a wrasse hole?
Good luck..fish trap seems to be general consensus short of tearing the tank apart.

I think fairy, flashers, melanarus, and pink striped are frequently named replacements.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re nasty fish. As stated above, a Fairy or Flasher Wrasse, some kind of Halichoeres, or a Pink Striped would all work. If you want a bug killer/ worm eater like the Six-Line, and are willing to provide a sand bed 3-4”, a Halichoeres would probably be the best for you. Yellow Coris, Melanurus, Christmas, Adorned, Red Lined, one of those.

Not sure about the Hogfish but Pacific Peppermint, Yellow Candy get to 4-5”.

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gal and planning to get a pistol shrimp hobby combo so I’m trying to stay away from other sand dwellers. Thanks for the options. I didn’t realize some wrasses were sand dwellers.

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You most likely have to remove all your live rock to catch that guy...
I have read that people use red light to stun the fish so you can net them easier at night time.
Good luck!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s nice. Which species of Goby and shrimp are you going for and how deep will your sand bed be?

As for sand burying wrasses, the Halichoeres Wrasses, Leopard Wrasses are two major sand burying genuses. The Lined Wrasses are open water swimmers that build “cocoons” to rest in, the Fairy and Flasher Wrasses are open water swimmers, the Hogfish (Bodianus spp.) are also open water swimmers etc.

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lines wrasse would be not a bully? Idk what you mean by cocoon but that sounds fun! And just a regular pistol shrimp yellow watchmen goby combo my sand is about 3” all the way around a low spot here or there.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only one I can think of xD is the Pink Streak Wrasse but not sure if that one belongs to the same genus as aggressive Six Line, Four Line, Eight Line and Five Line (Mystery) Wrasse.

I’m going for the same shrimp and Goby combo btw! However my LFS recommends a sand bed 0.8”-1.2”. Would that be too little sand? 2-3cm.

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man I just want a cool wrasse that darts between the rocks and doesn’t bully poor freckle fin and Doodaad (the clown pair). The six line was a impulse buy when I went to a lfs looking for shrimp for my freshwater. My tank is 3-4 months old and only has clownS a clean up crew and a brittle star fish.

SonyaBAZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gal and planning to get a pistol shrimp hobby combo so I’m trying to stay away from other sand dwellers. Thanks for the options. I didn’t realize some wrasses were sand dwellers.
Don’t have any advice to catching him but I have both a goby and pistol shrimp with a melanarus wrasse. They work just fine together in my 70 gallon tank. As long as you have a sand bed mine is about 2 inches. Just be aware the Halichoeres wrasses are great at pest control as well as eating your cleanup crew if they aren’t fed well. I have to add snails and crabs at night when he is asleep otherwise he enjoys the snacks I provide :rolleyes:

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I caught mine. If you have enough space on one side of your tank to fit a divider then you could do the same. I bought a piece of thin flexible plastic/acrylic (cut to the size that will fit your tank) from a plastic store and some divider clips (), I divide a small area in one side of my tank with the divider and left a small opening at the bottom of the tank so the fishes can swim between the two areas, I placed a piece of nori on a nori clip on the small side of the divided area, and once the fish swims over to the nori side I would push down the divider to trap the fish, then it makes it easier to catch the fish in a smaller area of your tank without touching any of your rock work. Hope this helps. Goodluck!

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t have any advice to catching him but I have both a goby and pistol shrimp with a melanarus wrasse. They work just fine together in my 70 gallon tank. As long as you have a sand bed mine is about 2 inches. Just be aware the Halichoeres wrasses are great at pest control as well as eating your cleanup crew if they aren’t fed well. I have to add snails and crabs at night when he is asleep otherwise he enjoys the snacks I provide :rolleyes:

Well I'm glad you told me about that! I just want a little bit of everything in my tank. A tomini tang, a coral beauty angel, my watchmen and pistol combo, and a mandarin are my future purchases and a wrasse that's not the devil.

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I caught mine. If you have enough space on one side of your tank to fit a divider then you could do the same. I bought a piece of thin flexible plastic/acrylic (cut to the size that will fit your tank) from a plastic store and some divider clips (), I divide a small area in one side of my tank with the divider and left a small opening at the bottom of the tank so the fishes can swim between the two areas, I placed a piece of nori on a nori clip on the small side of the divided area, and once the fish swims over to the nori side I would push down the divider to trap the fish, then it makes it easier to catch the fish in a smaller area of your tank without touching any of your rock work. Hope this helps. Goodluck!

I'm going to set up some traps tonight like three and see what happens if that doesn't work I'm going to try this. A different question where do you buy nori?

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You most likely have to remove all your live rock to catch that guy...
I have read that people use red light to stun the fish so you can net them easier at night time.
Good luck!
The red light is a good means, it's not so much that it stuns them but that they dont see that spectrum of color. That's why a lot of the creatures in the deep are red. I would assume the Six-Line will hide in the rock work with the lights out though.

I have a Pink Streak Wrasse in my 32 gallon and it's a great fish. I have never seen it act aggressive and it does a number on pods and flatworms.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back