Sizing equipment for new upcoming build waterbox 70.3

Daniel87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys Im starting my research for for the tank Im going to be building starting sometime in March. Right now Im trying to get a list together of parts and things I need. So the Waterbox 70.3 is a 49 gal display and 22 gal sump. The tank is 36*20*18. It has DN25 Overflow and DN25 emergency overflow along with DN20 return. So appx 1" overflows and 3/4" return.

In the sump Im planning or obviously run a skimmer, a heater, and probably a fuge and some mud, possibly a reactor at some point. So Im going to make sure I have a manifold setup. My first question is Im trying to research return pumps. Everything Ive read has said 5-10x tank turnover minus head. So with that being said Im planning on possibly 10-15x which would be 500-750 gph, but with the possibility of running a fuge Im not a 100% certain, or should I just stay with the original 5-10x turnover?

Also Id prefer a controllable pump. Any particular brands to look at. Obviously price does matter a little but quality is a lot more important for me as well as customer service.

Thanks guys and gals

CJS80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-10x turnover is fine. I use Varios pumps on my tank on my tank they are very quiet, and controllable. You can use a chaeper AC pump and control flow with a ball valve. AC usually last longer but aren't as silent as DC, so which you choose is personal preference.

OP
OP
D

Daniel87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-10x turnover is fine. I use Varios pumps on my tank on my tank they are very quiet, and controllable. You can use a chaeper AC pump and control flow with a ball valve. AC usually last longer but aren't as silent as DC, so which you choose is personal preference.
The tank I'm looking at has a dn20 return or appx 3/4. So would a 3/4 outlet work on the pump or would I need something else. Waterbox sells vyos(spelling) pumps I believe. Do you think I maybe better off with one from waterbox.

OP
OP
D

Daniel87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seen the varios has a 1 inch outlet. From everything I understand I dont want to use a reducer?

This is going to be my first sump

CJS80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about their pumps I haven't used them. The Varios 4 has a 1" outlet but if you look at the picture of accessories the barb that will screw on to the outlet is a double barb that works with 1" and 3/4"

OP
OP
D

Daniel87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I misposted the first post and cant edit it. Its 3/4 drain and 1/2 return if I'm understanding the conversion correctly

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back