Skeletal Cuts of Frags?

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received a head of torch coral today and looking at where the frag was cut you can see the “under belly” of the torch head.
1. Should I be concerned?
2. Should I try to seal the area? (Superglue or Epoxy?)
3. What would your feelings be if you received similar piece? ($250-350 frag )

image.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks cut than broke apart. Definitely not a clean cut. I could be wrong

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second torch is worse..... Also the pieces are from a well known vendor, not a hobbyist, if that would make any difference in opinion.
Personally, I feel like it is highly probable that the coral would be aggravated to the point of the head releasing or disease/infection to enter the animal.
Pic of the of the other frag received yesterday. I had two different boxes due to number of corals ordered so they shipped two different days just in case there was a shipping issue only one box would be effected.... *or maybe because they had to chop up a few pieces?*

0D96AC29-E071-4080-B333-AF193FAD5823.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that this is a fairly normal practice for creating frags. I think the reason it looks so different is that the long skeleton is also normally trimmed off and the fresh cut is glued to a plug.
I would only be concerned if they cut it too close to the flesh and you can see the polyps while looking up from below. If that is the case, some putty would be a good idea imo.
Otherwise, I would contact the vendor and let them know your concern and see if they have any recommendations. Reaching out now and following their advice might help with any potential future claims.

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that this is a fairly normal practice for creating frags. I think the reason it looks so different is that the long skeleton is also normally trimmed off and the fresh cut is glued to a plug.
I would only be concerned if they cut it too close to the flesh and you can see the polyps while looking up from below. If that is the case, some putty would be a good idea imo.
Otherwise, I would contact the vendor and let them know your concern and see if they have any recommendations. Reaching out now and following their advice might help with any potential future claims.
You can see flesh hanging out from the bottom of one and the other is visible but not hanging out.

FAEE77CB-14D6-480E-8947-A6C69D6F4FFC.jpeg

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you contacted them yet? Wait until you pass your time and they say you’ve owned it to long. Therefore can’t complain about it.

Don’t wait to long, if you sold a coral to someone and took many hours or even days and then they complained, how would you think that would go?

If you did pay that much for that hammer, ask for a refund and send them back, I’m sure they’ll be stuck at paying the fees.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see flesh hanging out from the bottom of one and the other is visible but not hanging out.

FAEE77CB-14D6-480E-8947-A6C69D6F4FFC.jpeg
I agree, that isn't good. I still suspect the frag will survive with only the damaged polyps bailing but I would send this picture to vendor.

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the two frags it appears they were once one. I inspecting a little further the piece with the larger exposed area looks to have been cut/ torn away from the other head as it was not fully developed. The damaged inflicted when cutting the flesh and the exposed innards would certainly make the coral(s) more susceptible the BJD from all articles I can find. Hoping not, but I certainly feel let down and disappointed...

The skeletons line up nearly identical.
FBF4E8DB-062B-427C-B5F6-212413A5AED8.jpeg

In the picture below you can see where the fleshy head was separated and was not fully grown apart. This is noticeable just above where you see the innards popping out of the skeleton.
8C5C3AF4-6891-4E11-9AEC-303D0636A0A7.jpeg

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the two frags it appears they were once one. I inspecting a little further the piece with the larger exposed area looks to have been cut/ torn away from the other head as it was not fully developed. The damaged inflicted when cutting the flesh and the exposed innards would certainly make the coral(s) more susceptible the BJD from all articles I can find. Hoping not, but I certainly feel let down and disappointed...

The skeletons line up nearly identical.
FBF4E8DB-062B-427C-B5F6-212413A5AED8.jpeg

In the picture below you can see where the fleshy head was separated and was not fully grown apart. This is noticeable just above where you see the innards popping out of the skeleton.
8C5C3AF4-6891-4E11-9AEC-303D0636A0A7.jpeg
Personally, I'd say that's totally unacceptable. The fact that it is from a vendor is more upsetting as they should know better and inspect the coral for some time before shipping (not cutting and immediately putting it in a box and shipping it). Especially if it was a two head that they cut into separate heads (trying to maximize profit). I would get into contact with them ASAP. I may be biased, but one of my pet peeves is people that frag coral and sell it that day

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back