Skimmer Airline and pH

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to prevent usage of CO2 scrubbing media (the last thing I want or need is another removable media to replace) I ran an airline to the skimmer - a Deltec SC2060 (if that matters).

I ran roughly 4 feet of 3/8" ID tubing from skimmer air intake, through the floor into the basement. Once there the tube is inserted into a push-to-connect (PTC) fitting which is connected into a 1.5" PVC cap into roughly 20 feet of 1.5" PVC pipe.

The thought here was that I wanted to reduce friction and improve air flow. I felt that 20+ feet of 3/8" would cause too much friction in air pull and decrease skimmer performance.

The PVC piping ends near one of the basement ventilation grates to the outside air.

My question involves below picture:
Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 8.14.06 AM.png

Previously the weather has been nice enough to open the windows in the house - and in doing so the pH hovered at the 8.1(ish) mark consistently.

I don't feel comfortable leaving windows to the house open during the day when the house is empty.

Why - after introducing what I am assuming is non CO2 laden air - is the pH swinging? Alkalinity is a non factor (9.1-.2 on the nose via dosing).

Is it a byproduct of rising ORP? Unrelated? (I am admittedly struggling to grasp the ORP/pH concept despite at least 5 readings through Randy's explanation of this).

Is CO2 media unavoidable? Would the basement air next to the ventilation grate be just as CO2 laden as inside the house? I really would like a consistent 8.2+ for increased calcification potential. Am I too hung up on this?

Maybe I'm just running out of things to fuss over?

Any input appreciated!

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Apex graphs, by the way. They match my pH and ORB almost exactly.

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling fresh air for the skimmer isn't going to help that much. Most people experience about 0.1 change in pH. I don't think you should fret over pH that much. Your pH is fine. If you doubt what I say, take a look at the pH of some of the top reefers: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/following-the-masters-part-two.305935/

Yeah I agree - but I am a bit neurotic - especially knowing the increased growth and consumption possible at a steady 8.3.

Nice Apex graphs, by the way. They match my pH and ORB almost exactly.

Thanks! lol.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree - but I am a bit neurotic - especially knowing the increased growth and consumption possible at a steady 8.3.

Thanks! lol.
i feel the same way to be honest. Coral seem to grow faster for me if my PH is 8.2 or so. But even with co2 scrubbing on my skimmer intake and dosing kalk I struggle to get to 8.1.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back