skimmer for 125 for non billionaires

DownriverDirt313

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 18, 2023
Messages
13
Reaction score
2
Location
Detroit
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning out a Aqueon reef ready 125, looking to do a DIY sump with a 40 breeder. Skimmers are coming in around $450 which seems high, like the cost of everything in 2023 lol. Are there any decent models that would work for this setup that are more affordable? Going for a mixed reef with a healthy amount of fish.
 
I really like the Reef Octopus classic models as budget skimmers. The classic 150 is $320 and the classic 200 is $400. If you are not stocking very heavily then the 150 would work great. If you are like me and you plan on putting 4 tangs in a 125 then you might want to step up to the 200.

These are my go-to because I have had great long-term reliability from these skimmers and I really prefer the skimmer pump outside the skimmer body. With the pump outside the skimmer, the pump is much easier to remove and service and if the pump is ever discontinued it is much easier to source a replacement than if the pump is inside the skimmer body. With internal pump skimmers if the pump is discontinued and your pump breaks you most likely will have to throw away the whole skimmer.

https://www.marineandreef.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RCV20287https://www.marineandreef.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RCV20290
 
Bubble magus curve 7 is the budget one that performs. Try and find used. Or a used reef octopus. I see those regularly.
 
Planning out a Aqueon reef ready 125, looking to do a DIY sump with a 40 breeder. Skimmers are coming in around $450 which seems high, like the cost of everything in 2023 lol. Are there any decent models that would work for this setup that are more affordable? Going for a mixed reef with a healthy amount of fish.
I find it difficult to understand why skimmers made from cheap plastic and an air pump cost much more than $100. Of course, I say the same thing about many of the "must have" products in this hobby. Don't get me started on the absurd cost of lighting. Some recent threads delved into that arena.
 
Look on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for a used one. If you see a LifeReef Skimmer, grab it. You can run any pump on it, as long as it meets the GPM. Takes me less than Five minutes to clean the Cup and Lid in the Laundry Sink. Body and Throat don’t need to be cleaned. Maybe once, twice a year, I have to run a Spring Brush through the Ventura. Suck some RO/DI Water through the air tube.
 
Look at simplicity. While I’ve never ran one of their skimmers, I’ve been very happy with their return pumps. I think they are rebranded jebao pumps but they have outstanding customer service and warranty.
Second the Simplicity Pumps, I currently have Four. 1000 on my Skimmers and Two 1600 on my 120 Returns. Going to Order another 1600 for the Return on my 65 Gallon. The Danner Supreme is pushing the Summer temperature too high. Great for energy savings. Figured the pump would pay for itself in 8 to 10 months.
 
Looking for a skimmer for my 180 so I understand completely. Cant find a good deal on one used locally might have to start hitting up people from other areas willing to ship or bite the bullet and buy a new really expensive one that didnt seem so expensive years ago. Reef'n ain't cheap.
 
I use the Simplicity skimmers also. I have three of the 120 model, and one 240 model. Keep them clean and they work great.

Simplicity 120DC Protein Skimmer https://a.co/d/icza3Fm

Simplicity 240DC Protein Skimmer for Saltwater Aquariums https://a.co/d/5D6d3xq
 
Reef octopus if you are going to buy new. They are on the cheaper end and workhorses. Been running them for years without problems. Or you can check out FB marketplace to find something used.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new