Skimmer for IM Nano 20?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, I wanted to gather some feedback on the various skimmers that would fit in an Innovative Marine Nano Fusion 20. I currently have the IM ghost skimmer and I am pretty unsatisfied with it. It releases a lot of bubbles into the aquarium and never produces a dryer skimmate.

I would like to know if anyone else has any suggestions for a good working nano skimmer. I've thought about going with the eshopps nano skimmer and maybe something from Tunze, but I wasn't sure if the Tunze styles would fit well without modifications.

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with my ghost skimmer in my fusion 20 :( At the time I considered trying the Aquamaxx HOB-1 protein skimmer. I ended up selling the tank but I think the Aquamaxx HOB-1 should work with your fusion 20.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with my ghost skimmer in my fusion 20 :( At the time I considered trying the Aquamaxx HOB-1 protein skimmer. I ended up selling the tank but I think the Aquamaxx HOB-1 should work with your fusion 20.
I've been looking at the HOB styles too, just a little too worried about leaks. If I lived in my own house it would be a different story, but not in my apartment for the time being.

However, if anyone else has had good experience with a HOB style, I'd love to hear about it.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the bubble issue, have you tried rotating the body 180° in the compartment? I had issues with mine until I did that, since then, it's been working perfectly (for over a year).

Trigun470

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For tunze 9001, you would need to modify the middle chamber. For that reason I'm using aquamaxx hob-1 on my nuvo fusion 25 lagoon. It fits perfectly in the second chamber. I'm pretty sure the back chamber is roughly the same dimension as the nuvo 20. The performance of the aquamaxx skimmer rocks. The skimmer is pretty big so it does stick out quiet a bit. But the performance of the skimmer out weighs the visual for me. And there is no micro bubble what so ever after the first day.

jbrady429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm using a Reef Octopus Classic 100 HOB on mine. I've had it running for a year now, and it has been working great. I tried a Remora AquaC HOB before that, but definitely prefer the Reef Octopus for this tank.

treedog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had issues with my ghost skimmer also, my resolution was to put it on timer. Now it only comes on night once the lights go out, I never see bubbles now LOL and the skimmer produces a good cup of skimmate about every 3 days.

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Eshopps Nano Skimmer fit the Fusion 20? I see the footprint being 4.5 in so not sure it would fit in 2nd chambers.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, thanks.

The HOB worries me with it overflowing.
It worries me too which is why I don't have one yet. I've considered getting the skimmer and building a overflow protector box around it and mounting it to my tank with clips, then placing a leak alarm in the box, at least then it would catch most of the water and let me know about it before anything serious happened.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back