Skimmer for Reefer 170

Afm32607

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a vertex 130, impeller is broken and no one has any idea where to find a replacement now. So instead of rigging up some science experiment or buying and trying impellers, I'm just going to get a new skimmer.

Any opinions? Performance, durability, ease of maintenance are key. Would also like ease of finding replacement parts.

Thinking, in order of preference:
1) RO 110SSS or the SRO 1000int (Have the 110 int on a similar tank with a bigger sump, its okay)
2) BM Curve 5 Elite
3)RO Regal 150 int (not a huge fan of additional controller and DC pump, always have trouble)
4) NYOS quantum - reviews are iffy

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an older RO 110 classic in my reefer, but have the new 150s for my new tank and I was impressed at how easy it is to assemble and subsequently take apart for cleaning.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been running Reef Octopus for years and am currently running three RO on different systems - they have been durable and reliable for me. Additionally, the parts are easy to get from CoralVue - I found this out because I misplaced a part when I pulled one out of storage. It you don't want to deal with a DC pump and a controller then the Reef Octopus classic series may be an option to consider. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running Reef Octopus for years and am currently running three RO on different systems - they have been durable and reliable for me. Additionally, the parts are easy to get from CoralVue - I found this out because I misplaced a part when I pulled one out of storage. It you don't want to deal with a DC pump and a controller then the Reef Octopus classic series may be an option to consider. Good luck with whatever you choose.
I think they are good value for money too

Back