Skimmer with drain for Reefer 170

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best Skimmer I ever owned is my Life Reef. You can use any pump on it, just match the Approximate GPM. Has a drain, Air intake is via the cup, so no air suction noise. Also via this design, if the Skimmer should go Crazy, the Skimming Action is temporally stopped. Mine has never gone crazy. No Needle Wheel, just a simple Ventura, that rarely needs cleaning. One adjustment via a gate valve. Tip if you want to temporarily increase skimming action, just raise the sump level, and leave the gate valve alone. A little trick to quiet a noisy pump, is to place a Silicone Pot Holder under it.

OP
OP
dennislagoon

dennislagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the Life Reef isn't easily available where I live.

I think I narrowed it down to something that could work for me. Both need drilling but I’m getting slightly more comfortable with that idea. (Even though I'm first going to test how long it takes for the cup to fill at all).

It now comes down to:
  • Nyos Quantum 120
  • Deltec 400i
Both have good reviews, seems to be relatively silent and have a small footprint.
Yet the Deltec also has a DC pump and controller and an emergency overflow, which makes me lean a bit more to the Deltec now. With a vacation in mind, that emergency overflow is pretty great.

Ooh the decisions!

Last edited:

swimmerevan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If stuck on the NYOS skimmer, why not just drill and tap the cup for a 1/4" john guest fitting and use some RO/DI tubing for the drain? It's what I did on my skimmer that did not have drain in the cup.
Are u able to take a picture of that ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back