Skimmer going crazy - WHY?

itsmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my skimmers been running for 3 months and randomly decided to go crazy. It’s been overflowing consistently for over a week now, and I can’t get it to calm down. My local fish keeper said it’s normal at the 3 months stage. It’s just cleaning out the ‘new tank syndrome’ which makes sense because my sand has cleared up massively. But the water or bubbles in the skimmer isn’t dirty and it’s still overflowing. Do I just leave it?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would turn it off. Let it sit a while. Let your tank get dirty. If it's always over flowing there isn't anything for it to skim out.

Skimmer requires air and fuel to work. Fish and food waste is fuel. Monitor your parameters and turn it on when you get to 10ppm nitrate.

Upvote 0

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day,s weeks, however long it takes to get some waste buildup. Monitor your parameters. Unless they are high you don't have to be skimming yet in a new tank. I usually go skimmerless for at least a month.

Basically you have nothing to skim out.

Upvote 0

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to adj the air/water mix to stop it, what type of skimmer is it?

If you have to leave it off Overnight might not be long enough
Skimmer overflow sometimes just has to run its course and could have several causes ….
Sometimes I just mix up a batch of fresh SW and direct the overflow to a bucket…water change opportunity…

Upvote 0

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you manage this? :) What skimmer do you have? My local 'Fish Keeper' up in Glasgow are not very proficient in saltwater equipment so chances are that you might have had questionable advice.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back