Skimmer going crazy

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reefer911
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 23, 2022
Messages
1,536
Reaction score
888
Location
Pensacola, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over a week ago I mounted a few frags with epoxy. Three frags, and didn’t use a lot of epoxy. The skimmer started bubbling like crazy which I was expecting. But I didn’t expect it to be doing it a week later. Yesterday I remounted the frags with Tunze coral gum and did a small water change mostly with water pumping out through the skimmer cup. Nothing has changed. I took it apart twice and cleaned it. The only thing I was able to do was to restrict air intake and that kept it from overflowing inside the cup.
Just wondering what’s going on. At this point, I’m not sure it’s due to the epoxy.
 
As long as you used reef safe epoxy, I’d say let it be. I use ecotechs coral glue and had good luck with it. But sometimes when doing something in the tank the skimmer will act up. Don’t adjust let it run it’s course and if need be pull the cup off and let if over flow into the tank. Won’t hurt the tank to run a few days that way.. just keep up on your filtration in the mean time. Best of luck! Patients is key!
 
If it's an option.... a large water change would probably fix the issue. Otherwise it will work itself out over a day or three.
 
Skimmers are sensitive. Besides the glue did you recently replace media pads or filter socks? These type of common maintenance replacements will do it as well. Also if you take your skimmer cup off and put it back but at a slight angle. It will allow your skimmer to work until your water is good.
 
Guess I’ll continue to ride it out then. Was concerned about NO3 export though. Although I only have two fish in a 64 gallon system. So I’ll probably be ok

No filter socks, I have a filter roller.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new