Skimmer help.

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I’m having an issue with my protein skimmer, I checked it as I normally do every couple days and it has been overflowing! :( not sure for how long and also I can’t get it to stop even if I open the water flow all the way it still fills the cup in less than 5 minutes. Any ideas?

OP
OP
jonleeroyix

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I’m having an issue with my protein skimmer, I checked it as I normally do every couple days and it has been overflowing! :( not sure for how long and also I can’t get it to stop even if I open the water flow all the way it still fills the cup in less than 5 minutes. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 64947740890__0C820844-586A-4163-A855-F31CE390ADC3.MOV
    1.1 MB

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first thing i would do is clean the entire protein skimmer and then reinstall it. Something could be clogged.
Alternatively if that doesnt help it may be something in the water so lower the internal water level inside the skimmer, and lower air intake a bit as well. Then water change and carbon to help take out whatever was causing it to overflow

OP
OP
jonleeroyix

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first thing i would do is clean the entire protein skimmer and then reinstall it. Something could be clogged.
Alternatively if that doesnt help it may be something in the water so lower the internal water level inside the skimmer, and lower air intake a bit as well. Then water change and carbon to help take out whatever was causing it to overflow
Mixing more water now! I just finished cycling and was going to do a 50% water change anyways. Also do you know how long after the cycle is over I can run a carbon reactor?? Thanks!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reactor shouldnt be necessary yet but can pretty much be turned on whenever. For now i would just run it in the sump for now in a mesh bag, sometimes i find media reactors are too efficient.

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing more water now! I just finished cycling and was going to do a 50% water change anyways. Also do you know how long after the cycle is over I can run a carbon reactor?? Thanks!
If you just cycled tank, this might also be why it is overflowing. With no detritus to remove, its just air and water. Skimmers need time to break-in. Every skimmer is different. Since there shouldn't be any nasties in the tank, just let it overflow back into the sump.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back