Skimmer issue after cleaning

msdraglox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an eshopps HOB skimmer (psk-100H) about 2 weeks ago I cleaned it by running vinegar and water for about 24hrs. Since then it has been really foamy to the point of overflowing. I had to open the overflow valve into the tank to avoid flooding my house.

I took it out and tested it again with a bucket of salt water and it works ok after about an HR, but once I put it back on the tank it goes crazy.

I am all out of ideas. Nutrients tested low at fish store so I am confused. Any suggestions?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U probably need to readjust the intake levels since its probably now generating a lot more microbubbles than before you cleaned it. Testing it on a new bucket of salt water doesn't tell you anything bc the new bucket has no disolved organics that would increase the water surface tension to create that foamy skimate that slowly rises.

Its "going crazy" in your tank bc your tank has a lot of disolved organics, esp since you haven't used it in a few days and maybe bc it hasn't been as effective before you cleaned it. Just readjust the intake skim levels according to your skimmers manual to make the skimate less wet so it doesn't fill up the collection cup too quickly and let it run, after a couple it days it will "break in" and stabilize.

The nutrient you tested low in the fish store is most likely nitrate/phosphate. This is not a good indication of how much skimmers foam bc what makes it foam are the dissolved organics, proteins and amino acids that increase the surface tension of water. These are compounds and particles that exist in water before bacteria converts them to nitrate/phosphate. As far as I know there is no direct test for concentration of dissolved organics in water so thats probably why the water test is not giving you the right picture for your issue.

OP
OP
M

msdraglox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U probably need to readjust the intake levels since its probably now generating a lot more microbubbles than before you cleaned it. Testing it on a new bucket of salt water doesn't tell you anything bc the new bucket has no disolved organics that would increase the water surface tension to create that foamy skimate that slowly rises.

Its "going crazy" in your tank bc your tank has a lot of disolved organics, esp since you haven't used it in a few days and maybe bc it hasn't been as effective before you cleaned it. Just readjust the intake skim levels according to your skimmers manual to make the skimate less wet so it doesn't fill up the collection cup too quickly and let it run, after a couple it days it will "break in" and stabilize.

The nutrient you tested low in the fish store is most likely nitrate/phosphate. This is not a good indication of how much skimmers foam bc what makes it foam are the dissolved organics, proteins and amino acids that increase the surface tension of water. These are compounds and particles that exist in water before bacteria converts them to nitrate/phosphate. As far as I know there is no direct test for concentration of dissolved organics in water so thats probably why the water test is not giving you the right picture for your issue.
Thanks for the reply. It's a HOB so their is only so much tuning I can do, plus it's set like the manual suggests for when you start it new.

It's still producing a lot of bubbles and skimmate is basically salt water.

I have added in addition to my chemipure a bag of BRS Rox carbon to see if it helps and nothing.

What's weird is when I feed the tank, the skimmer starts to act normal, like it reduces the amount of bubbles and no longer overflows the cup.

Could it be the tank is too clean?

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank isn't too clean. There is likely something in the tank that is causing it to make a huge amount of foam, or it wasn't working well before. Foam generation goes down when feeding because the fat in the food inhibits bubble formation.
If there is some way to adjust it "down", that is what I would do in the short term. Lower the water level in it, or reduce the air volume.
If the tank is very clean, there isn't enough material to support foam generation.

LacViet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sound like when you clean with vinegar, the skimmer needs time to re-broken again similar like newly purchase protein skimmer that use for the first time. I just clean with brush and water.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 45 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back