Skimmer options needed

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no doubt I love my akula 180 just doesn’t not produce much due to low bioload I should have gotten the 160. Got a great veal on the bk 150 couldn’t pass it up
I'm sure you'll like it

i would run it with the sump level just above the white T for the effluent (no more than an inch. i run my sump at 8.5 inches in the skimmer chamber and i had to build a 1 1/2 inch stand to get mine at around 7 inches where it would perform well and give me a larger tuning range. any deeper for me and it would skimm too wet on the lower settings. Pretty skimmer though.

130 xdc.jpg

20200605_173100.jpg

Edit: one thing i don't care for on the skimmer is the need to unscrew the cup. it's threaded and the cup drain needs to be pushed close to the cup to get past the ozone nipple on the stand pipe brace. a bit of the pain compared to the usual twist or wiggle up and off for most skimmer cups. not sure if the 150 will have the same threaded cup but just wanted note that. really good skimmer though and quiet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShawnM24

ShawnM24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir same screw collection cup. Thank you for the info how did you make the stand? I have mine sitting in 8 inches due to the water box sump not being adjustable. Definitely needs to come up an inch. Been a week running now and produces really nice stinky stuff and it is dead silent can’t tell it’s even running I’ll take a pic tonight.
I'm sure you'll like it

i would run it with the sump level just above the white T for the effluent (no more than an inch. i run my sump at 8.5 inches in the skimmer chamber and i had to build a 1 1/2 inch stand to get mine at around 7 inches where it would perform well and give me a larger tuning range. any deeper for me and it would skimm too wet on the lower settings. Pretty skimmer though.

130 xdc.jpg

20200605_173100.jpg

Edit: one thing i don't care for on the skimmer is the need to unscrew the cup. it's threaded and the cup drain needs to be pushed close to the cup to get past the ozone nipple on the stand pipe brace. a bit of the pain compared to the usual twist or wiggle up and off for most skimmer cups. not sure if the 150 will have the same threaded cup but just wanted note that. really good skimmer though and quiet.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir same screw collection cup. Thank you for the info how did you make the stand? I have mine sitting in 8 inches due to the water box sump not being adjustable. Definitely needs to come up an inch. Been a week running now and produces really nice stinky stuff and it is dead silent can’t tell it’s even running I’ll take a pic tonight.
Stand:

ordered some rigid white pvc sheet from amazon (can also PU from HD or Lowes) and had some 1/2 inch i.d. PVC pipe slip joints laying around. then picked up some 1" self adhesive furniture pads from amazon and traced then dremmel'd the pattern out (jig saw would have been easier but mine was loaned out). i then glued the slip joints to the board and stuck the pads to the bottom. fun project and looks nice i think.

i could lower it by 1/2 inch by removing the pads or raise it if need be by inserting 1/2 inch pvc pipe cut to size into the bottom of the slip joints (so technically adjustable)

OP
OP
ShawnM24

ShawnM24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good I think I was contemplating having Chris from rhinos reef make me something cool for a stand. It seems to be doing ok at 8 inches at the moment though. Absolute gorgeous skimmers for sure and the 25% off was nice

Stand:

ordered some rigid white pvc sheet from amazon (can also PU from HD or Lowes) and had some 1/2 inch i.d. PVC pipe slip joints laying around. then picked up some 1" self adhesive furniture pads from amazon and traced then dremmel'd the pattern out (jig saw would have been easier but mine was loaned out). i then glued the slip joints to the board and stuck the pads to the bottom. fun project and looks nice i think.

i could lower it by 1/2 inch by removing the pads or raise it if need be by inserting 1/2 inch pvc pipe cut to size into the bottom of the slip joints (so technically adjustable)

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good I think I was contemplating having Chris from rhinos reef make me something cool for a stand. It seems to be doing ok at 8 inches at the moment though. Absolute gorgeous skimmers for sure and the 25% off was nice
Sorry that I'm just now seeing this. If I had know I would have tempted you with our sump stand. They don't restrict flow (no detritus buildup and they are easily height adjustable. Rather than send to the 3 different sizes and optional pump base add-on, the link contains all of our Biotek Marine 3D printed products (Biotek Marine is apart of our business in case you didn't know). Thank you and I hope this helps you and others.

Also here are a few photos...

Attachments

• Side-platform-ProductImageThree.jpg
    Side-platform-ProductImageThree.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 17
  • side-platform-1.jpg
    side-platform-1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 20
  • small-skimmer-stand-2.jpg
    small-skimmer-stand-2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 23
  • small-skimmer-stand-1.jpg
    small-skimmer-stand-1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 23
  • medium-skimmer-stand-pump-addon-1.jpg
    medium-skimmer-stand-pump-addon-1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 25

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that I'm just now seeing this. If I had know I would have tempted you with our sump stand. They don't restrict flow (no detritus buildup and they are easily height adjustable. Rather than send to the 3 different sizes and optional pump base add-on, the link contains all of our Biotek Marine 3D printed products (Biotek Marine is apart of our business in case you didn't know). Thank you and I hope this helps you and others.

Also here are a few photos...
Wow. Thanks for posting this. That last one is really nice and would work great for the BK double cone 130. How much?

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Thanks for posting this. That last one is really nice and would work great for the BK double cone 130. How much?
Please visit the link I posted and you can see all the 3D printed products we offer. There are 3 different stands and the optional pump stand for skimmers that have an external pump (pump not mounted inside the skimmer). Thank you.

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back