Skimmer OR filter roll

ReefdudeAdam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys..

Had a quick search of the forum and found a few threads mentioning filter rolls and issues running along side skimmers etc..

My question relates to something I saw on BRS TV.. running an auto filter roll instead of a skimmer. I’m limited with space in my sump and had been looking to purchase a skimmer for my new tank any day now.. but should I? Or should I try the filter roll piped to the overflow?
Thanks in advance guys

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following...

I was under the impression you still needed both...but the filter roller might let you get away with a smaller skimmer. The roller is basically just replacing the sock filters that most sumps come with/use. If I'm reading your question correctly.

OP
OP
R

ReefdudeAdam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following...

I was under the impression you still needed both...but the filter roller might let you get away with a smaller skimmer. The roller is basically just replacing the sock filters that most sumps come with/use. If I'm reading your question correctly.
Yea that’s true. The issue with filter socks is, after 2-3 days they need swapping out. A skimmer takes away any organic matter that it can suck up that makes it to the sump, a filter roll plumbed direct to the overflow will totally take out everything that passes through the overflow..?
my concern is, running a skimmer along seems more likely to keep my nitrate & phos at 0?
Sorry if it’s a dumb question

Peter_in_the_city

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using a skimmer and filter socks (no roller)
Hopefully someone replies that has had a filter sock only set up, but I've always enjoyed the benefits of a skimmer. The question I'd ask is if you had to choose one or the other which one has more severe consequences if it doesn't perform properly. The only thing a skimmer has ever done to me is overflow, but I have read about rollers burning through an entire roll because of a faulty sensor or water splashing on it.

Peter_in_the_city

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that’s true. The issue with filter socks is, after 2-3 days they need swapping out. A skimmer takes away any organic matter that it can suck up that makes it to the sump, a filter roll plumbed direct to the overflow will totally take out everything that passes through the overflow..?
my concern is, running a skimmer along seems more likely to keep my nitrate & phos at 0?
Sorry if it’s a dumb question
If your exporting enough nutrients with both to get NO3 and PO4 to zero I'd just start getting a little overzealous with feeding.

Reeflux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what i understand....if you're filter rolling fast, and you have a fuge, you may not need a skimmer.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys..

Had a quick search of the forum and found a few threads mentioning filter rolls and issues running along side skimmers etc..

My question relates to something I saw on BRS TV.. running an auto filter roll instead of a skimmer. I’m limited with space in my sump and had been looking to purchase a skimmer for my new tank any day now.. but should I? Or should I try the filter roll piped to the overflow?
Thanks in advance guys
You need both because both do a separate job for your tank

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they serve different purpose. Filter roll is for mechanical filtration (detritus, food, fish waste etc) while skimmer is chemical filtration (organic protein from fish waste and food)

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always believed skimmers were just mechanical filters that by there nature reduce the biological load and thus reduce the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and P

OP
OP
R

ReefdudeAdam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using a skimmer and filter socks (no roller)
Hopefully someone replies that has had a filter sock only set up, but I've always enjoyed the benefits of a skimmer. The question I'd ask is if you had to choose one or the other which one has more severe consequences if it doesn't perform properly. The only thing a skimmer has ever done to me is overflow, but I have read about rollers burning through an entire roll because of a faulty sensor or water splashing on it.
Fully understand the skimmer/sock combo and that’s how I’ve always worked. But the sock maintenance just seems unnecessary nowadays when most things can be automated.
I hadn’t considered what happens when the roll plays up as things often do. Good point

OP
OP
R

ReefdudeAdam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they serve different purpose. Filter roll is for mechanical filtration (detritus, food, fish waste etc) while skimmer is chemical filtration (organic protein from fish waste and food)
Which was my initial thoughts, and hadn’t considered a roll until passing by something on BRS and it got me thinking... do I need a skimmer.
I guess you’ve answered my question, although.. if no waste is left over - good tank flow and a fast roll, no food can decay - paired with water changes, the skimmer won’t really have much to do?
Again, sorry if it’s a dumb question.

Reeflux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One removes waste by mechanical movement of a screen (filter roll), the skimmer does the same thing...by adding billions of air bubbles that separates water by its polarity... the skimmer gets smaller particles....

You guys are the experts....I just try and pay attention.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong but I believe the size of the particles is the issue. The sock or roller filter usually catches things up to 200 microns. The skimmer catches proteins that are much smaller that can make their way thru your sock or roller.
Personally I like to use both the sock and the skimmer.

Reeflux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly...so my thought is, if you've got a filter roll that's moving fairly fast, and you have a fuge, with regular to slow flow through the sump, allowing organic waste to accumulate in the fuge, you might not need a skimmer. No?

OP
OP
R

ReefdudeAdam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The theiling roll claims 50 microns...? Seems pretty good to me. I agree not the same as a skimmer...
so one or the other..? Skimmer taking the lead?

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which was my initial thoughts, and hadn’t considered a roll until passing by something on BRS and it got me thinking... do I need a skimmer.
I guess you’ve answered my question, although.. if no waste is left over - good tank flow and a fast roll, no food can decay - paired with water changes, the skimmer won’t really have much to do?
Again, sorry if it’s a dumb question.
no such thing as a dumb question. U can absolutely run a tank skimmerless with good tank husbandry, I did on my 60cube but it was very lightly stocked filled with LR directly from the ocean. Track the PO4 levels consistently and when/if u notice it increasing even with regular WC, then u can consider adding a skimmer.
Again, skimmer removes ORGANIC (chemical) waste that comes from food and decomposing waste vs filter sock that removes SOLID waste (mechanical) like any debris/uneaten food etc. Filter sock will not remove PO4 from water column. They serve different purpose and are not the same.

OP
OP
R

ReefdudeAdam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no such thing as a dumb question. U can absolutely run a tank skimmerless with good tank husbandry, I did on my 60cube but it was very lightly stocked filled with LR directly from the ocean. Track the PO4 levels consistently and when/if u notice it increasing even with regular WC, then u can consider adding a skimmer.
Again, skimmer removes ORGANIC (chemical) waste that comes from food and decomposing waste vs filter sock that removes SOLID waste (mechanical) like any debris/uneaten food etc. Filter sock will not remove PO4 from water column. They serve different purpose and are not the same.
I think I’m sticking with a skimmer & sock set up. I’ve a 70g ready to be put together and thought I’d get peoples thoughts on this before spending a few £££ on either or.
Thanks a lot

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The theiling roll claims 50 microns...? Seems pretty good to me. I agree not the same as a skimmer...
so one or the other..? Skimmer taking the lead?
is there a specific reason why u r looking to add a skimmer or roller mat? i.e. is ur water not looking clear or have u noticed PO4 level's spiking... I would much rather u save $ w/o buying something that your tank may not need

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ^^

filter roll will not take out the stuff that skimmer takes out.

Back