OP
Bruce Burnett

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no problem putting electronics near water so long as they're adequately secured. Doubly so if the water is in an enclosed reservoir.
Yea I had thought about that before. Just have to setup fail safe so I don't over fill it.
See how many and what kind of answers I get.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bruce Burnett

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else got some comments? Really looking for opinions on roller filters.

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that they are amazing and that you can actually get a smaller skimmer because they are too good.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others said, roller mat and skimmer do different things. If your roller mat is catching EVERYTHING (which is unlikely), then nothing will break down enough for a skimmer to be useful. But there's no way the roller mat will catch everything. Also, you really don't need either of them to keep a healthy tank (though it does help), so whichever way you go will probably be fine. If you like the tank to be clearer and to do less maintenance, I think the roller mat is the way to go. Hopefully your ATS will get any residual nutrient left behind.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others said, roller mat and skimmer do different things. If your roller mat is catching EVERYTHING (which is unlikely), then nothing will break down enough for a skimmer to be useful. But there's no way the roller mat will catch everything. Also, you really don't need either of them to keep a healthy tank (though it does help), so whichever way you go will probably be fine. If you like the tank to be clearer and to do less maintenance, I think the roller mat is the way to go. Hopefully your ATS will get any residual nutrient left behind.
Only reason I installed a roller is that I go away for long periods frequently.

Filter socks don't work for me.

I've found the the roller mat does keep things a little too clean, and I have to dose nitrate and phosphates to prevent them going to zero.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gbroadbridge, @FishOkay
Yes I am aware they all do different things but trying to get insight from people who use the various methods. A skimmer removing nutrients is same as an ats except i feel ats more effective, good mechanical filtration will also help with nutrient control. Skimmer can help gas exchange which an ats will only help when lit. I have heard some people get no skimate from skimmer after using roller filter if true then other than aeration it will serve no purpose.
So do you have a roller filter? If so what brand, size and tank size with sand? And how long does roll last. The on going cost would be high if you get one or two weeks per roll but 3 or 4 months not so bad with the convenience.
I’m totally drawing a blank. Like the minute I turned 60 my brain function decrease. What is ats?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back