Skimmer Overflow - looking solutions

Oggiewok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an RSK-300, hooked up to a smart plug for when I need to turn it off for feedings (my sockets are all hidden in a cabinet). My problem is this. Sometimes my power cuts out, and when it restarts - the water level in the skimmer chamber causes the skimmer cup to fill, and overflow. By the time everything corrects itself, the levels in the return chamber are now lower due to the skimmer cup being filled with approx 1L of saltwater. - which causes the ATO to top up freshwater, decreasing salinity over time.

What is the best solution for this? I've looked at the "skimmer guardian" setups, but that doesnt fix the problem of the cup filling. Ideally, some sort of switch on the socket that doesnt automatically turn on in the case of a power outage, or some sort of delay before doing so - to give the levels time to stabilise. Thanks for any input.

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a smart plug for the skimmer, I know amazon smart plugs default to the off state after an outage so you would have to turn it on manually either by hitting the button on the plug or using the app.

Smart plug

OP
OP
O

Oggiewok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a "teckin" smart plug on it, and it turnee back on automatically, but randomly had an amazon plug on a TV in another room (it was free with something) and it works! Doesn't turn on after power is restored. Exactly what I wanted, thank you!

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah some default to their last state but amazons default to off in case it's plugged into a toaster or something you don't want randomly turning on.

Anytime, hope it works!

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what you need:
Or can make your own:

OP
OP
O

Oggiewok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what you need:
Or can make your own:
Seen that, but alas im in Ireland, so it would be a massive faff to set up - and I would 100% electrocute myself trying to make my own. The amazon plug seems to have sorted the problem, thanks anyway!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah some default to their last state but amazons default to off in case it's plugged into a toaster or something you don't want randomly turning on.

Anytime, hope it works!
Umm, having an outlet that a toaster is plugged into on doesn’t automatically turn the toaster on. I agree with your post but a toaster was not a good example.

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm, having an outlet that a toaster is plugged into on doesn’t automatically turn the toaster on. I agree with your post but a toaster was not a good example.

Glad you posted just to point out the bad example, my bad. Have a great day bud

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back