Skimmer Overflow - looking solutions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oggiewok
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Oggiewok

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 21, 2022
Messages
50
Reaction score
60
Location
Ireland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an RSK-300, hooked up to a smart plug for when I need to turn it off for feedings (my sockets are all hidden in a cabinet). My problem is this. Sometimes my power cuts out, and when it restarts - the water level in the skimmer chamber causes the skimmer cup to fill, and overflow. By the time everything corrects itself, the levels in the return chamber are now lower due to the skimmer cup being filled with approx 1L of saltwater. - which causes the ATO to top up freshwater, decreasing salinity over time.

What is the best solution for this? I've looked at the "skimmer guardian" setups, but that doesnt fix the problem of the cup filling. Ideally, some sort of switch on the socket that doesnt automatically turn on in the case of a power outage, or some sort of delay before doing so - to give the levels time to stabilise. Thanks for any input.
 
You could try a smart plug for the skimmer, I know amazon smart plugs default to the off state after an outage so you would have to turn it on manually either by hitting the button on the plug or using the app.

Smart plug
 
I had a "teckin" smart plug on it, and it turnee back on automatically, but randomly had an amazon plug on a TV in another room (it was free with something) and it works! Doesn't turn on after power is restored. Exactly what I wanted, thank you!
 
Yeah some default to their last state but amazons default to off in case it's plugged into a toaster or something you don't want randomly turning on.

Anytime, hope it works!
 
Yeah some default to their last state but amazons default to off in case it's plugged into a toaster or something you don't want randomly turning on.

Anytime, hope it works!
Umm, having an outlet that a toaster is plugged into on doesn’t automatically turn the toaster on. I agree with your post but a toaster was not a good example.
 
Umm, having an outlet that a toaster is plugged into on doesn’t automatically turn the toaster on. I agree with your post but a toaster was not a good example.

Glad you posted just to point out the bad example, my bad. Have a great day bud
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new