DIY Skimmer delay timer switch

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if there is a thread here about how to make one of these but here is how I made one for about $15 if there is anyone else interested in one.
Its easy to make and will prevent your skimmer from overflowing if there is a power outage and will delay your skimmer coming on till your sump is adjusted to where it needs to be when power comes back on. Its adjustable so you can set it anywhere from .03s to 10 min delay.
you can also use it for circulation pumps where you shut the pump off when feeding so that it will automatically kick back on within the desired time after all the feeding is done.
The timer was purchased on ebay for about $12.00 and its called ICM break delay relay Part # ICM203F.
you will also need an extension cord (the Male plug end and wire), outlet and an outlet box.
Mine is plugged into an GFCI outlet so I used a regular outlet for it BUT I would highly recommend using a GFCI outlet for anything related to your tank if you are not already doing so.
any question, comments just let me know.
disclaimer: I'm not an electrician so as always use your own judgement and use at your own risk :)

FullSizeRender (6).jpg

delay timer.jpg

Skimmer delay.jpg

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built something similar recently. I was in Walmart and saw a delay timer that offered 1,2,4,8 hour intervals. Great I thought, it would be cool to turn my skimmer off and have it come on hours later after whatever I have feed has been consumed. When I got home I discovered it worked exactly opposite to what I was thinking (and needed). It would apply power for that period of time and then turn off, not the other way around. So I bought a 120V (DPDT) relay along with some extension cords and wired up a device that I could plug my skimmer through and then plug the device into the delay timer. Now when I press the button on the delay timer, the relay is energized and power is cut to the skimmer. Once the timer turns off the relay de-energizes and the skimmer restarts. Works great.

Dennis

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a little old but I was googling trying to figure out how I can do this... and stumbled across this thread. I know reef octopus sells a kit for 50$ but I figured I could do it alot cheaper and be able to change the timing. Just ordered the part ita 16$ now on amazon. And figure another 10 for an outdoor extension cord(better insulated for being around water) and 5$ for a box outlet and cover. Saves a few bucks and I'm big on the diy aspect of reefing ! Thanks for posting this!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back