Skimmer Overflowing

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer is overflowing after working for a few months now (3 months). I did dose Chemi clean to get rid of some small cyano spots. Once I did this the skimmer was overflowing, which can happen as a result. But now, I’m on day 3 of screwing with the skimmer to try to get it to work again… got 3 layers of egg crates to try to help. Seems to not be doing anything. Please help.

image.jpg image.jpg

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I've used chemiclean, I usually can't use my skimmer for up to two weeks. I run dual airstones during that time. Chemiclean requires extra aeration to work correctly and to keep fish oxygenated.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I've used chemiclean, I usually can't use my skimmer for up to two weeks. I run dual airstones during that time. Chemiclean requires extra aeration to work correctly and to keep fish oxygenated.
True, it does demand an addition of oxygen for the tank inhabitants. But I believe your small amount of cyano should have been eliminated in one or two days. Then on day three do a 20% or so water change and your skimmer should be fine.

OP
OP
ParkerK

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do have an aerator but I turn it off once I do the water change after the recommended 48 hours. Good to note though. Guess I’ll just have to let the Carbon clean the water for now then turn skimmer on in 2 weeks. Thanks!

OP
OP
ParkerK

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do have an aerator but I turn it off once I do the water change after the recommended 48 hours. Good to note though. Guess I’ll just have to let the Carbon clean the water for now then turn skimmer on in 2 weeks
After Chemi Clean did you do the recommended water change?
yes

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back