Skimmer PH bump

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Argh... In full disclosure I woke up to this this morning... @120reefkeeper are you seeing any drops at all? I think my tank is just chewing through Alk and I am still setting up the times doses for it.
IMG_20160519_094432.jpg

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a bad drop. 8.2 down to let's say 8.0.... That's very common. I was getting a much larger swing. If you see in my previous comment that I don't dose anything yet. I have no corals at all.

Also a side note. I do not dose anything yet. No kalkwasser no nothing. So these readings are strictly pure PH bump due to running this new tubing to the outside.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've probably heard it before but I'll say it again. Don't try to chase your PH. We can do a few things here and there to improve it but if you start chasing it you'll be disappointed. Your overall PH is we'll within acceptable parameters. [emoji16]

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following this thread from the beginning. And, I've been doing some thinking as I'm building my system. Heck I don't have my tank yet, so all I've been doing is thinking well and building. PH and Alk are closely related, just as ALK and Ca are closely related. If you dose Alk when your experiencing those drops in PH how will your PH be effected. Would that help to stabilize those PH swings even more?

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following this thread from the beginning. And, I've been doing some thinking as I'm building my system. Heck I don't have my tank yet, so all I've been doing is thinking well and building. PH and Alk are closely related, just as ALK and Ca are closely related. If you dose Alk when your experiencing those drops in PH how will your PH be effected. Would that help to stabilize those PH swings even more?

Yes your on the right track. Many people dose alk at night when PH typically drops. Also running a refugium with a reverse light cycle from the DT seems to help also.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm all about running a fuge on the reverse light cycle. I've always done that. My past systems were quite a bit smaller than my new system will be. So I've been brain storming with ideas of how to handle stuff like PH swings etc. I am going to have a 40 breeder macro tank connected to the system. We will see how that manages PH. Are you guys running refugiums?

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm all about running a fuge on the reverse light cycle. I've always done that. My past systems were quite a bit smaller than my new system will be. So I've been brain storming with ideas of how to handle stuff like PH swings etc. I am going to have a 40 breeder macro tank connected to the system. We will see how that manages PH. Are you guys running refugiums?

Yes I have a fuge and it does help... My setup is still fairly new and things are just starting to settle. I started this tank up on March 3. Cycled with liverock etc... I only have 2 fish right now a CUC and no coral yet. Looking to add another fish in a few days. I wait about a month between additions.

My build thread.

Getting ready... 120 re-fire!
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Getting-ready...-120-re-fire!.233775/

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just revisited this thread after not seeing it for a while and while I'm in the process of setting up a new tank, I was able to keep my previous one that was posted here at a very stable 8.20. No draw backs what so ever, I would highly recommend this approach to anyone that can get away with drilling a hole in the house.

Pmauro55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I definitely agree . In my last home it was not nearly as tight or as insulated so I never saw those big differences between a closed up home and windows open. I just got done buying the parts and pieces so later today will be the install.
Something you may not have thought about is if you run tubing to the outside is how to keep the bugs out, how do you protect the intake from spiders and other creepy crawlers.

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1563821768239.png

Here's an easy idea. Sprinkler system filters. Cheap on Amazon. Keeps rain, dirt and bugs out.
Great idea. I have been running my skimmer line outside for many years. 2 days ago, I noticed my skimmer not operating properly only to find a bee had made it's way into the airline tube. Need to come up with some kind of filter.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something you may not have thought about is if you run tubing to the outside is how to keep the bugs out, how do you protect the intake from spiders and other creepy crawlers.

Actually I had . I attached the tube outside to a fitting . Inside the fitting I made a filter out of floss and also put some carbon inside of it. Worked perfectly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back