Skimmer Q&A Thread

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running an AIO Fluval Flex 32.5. It has been cycled and running for 4 weeks. My tank currently only has 2 clowns and 4 hermits along with live rock. I recently purchased a Protein Skimmer (Fluval PS1) that is specifically made for this tank. It has been running for 8 days now and ever since day 1 of running the skimmer I have MILLIONS of bubbles coming out of my return. It is running at the proper water depth, I have the air valve fully open (this was recommended on the book for initial installation). Are these bubbles common? Should I turn it off so it does not harm my fish? I was hoping to get 1 fish in about 2 more weeks (4 weeks since adding my first pair of clowns) but I am concerned about the amount of bubbles in my tank if it will harm my fish so I'm thinking of holding off adding anything else until I can figure this out. All my water parameters have been consistent and "good" with the exception of Alkalinity. That is high at 14.8 (hanna checker) but I am hoping this was a test error although I'm also not running corals so from what I read Alkalinity is not as big of a deal for fish only (within reason)?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running an AIO Fluval Flex 32.5. It has been cycled and running for 4 weeks. My tank currently only has 2 clowns and 4 hermits along with live rock. I recently purchased a Protein Skimmer (Fluval PS1) that is specifically made for this tank. It has been running for 8 days now and ever since day 1 of running the skimmer I have MILLIONS of bubbles coming out of my return. It is running at the proper water depth, I have the air valve fully open (this was recommended on the book for initial installation). Are these bubbles common? Should I turn it off so it does not harm my fish? I was hoping to get 1 fish in about 2 more weeks (4 weeks since adding my first pair of clowns) but I am concerned about the amount of bubbles in my tank if it will harm my fish so I'm thinking of holding off adding anything else until I can figure this out. All my water parameters have been consistent and "good" with the exception of Alkalinity. That is high at 14.8 (hanna checker) but I am hoping this was a test error although I'm also not running corals so from what I read Alkalinity is not as big of a deal for fish only (within reason)?
couple things you could try. remove the cup and shut down the air (tighten valve) so you just run water through the skimmer for now. You'll enable the skimmer to establish a mild slime coat. i would run it like that for a couple days at least.
OR, if you have any skimmate in the cup that has any significant DOCs (light tea color or darker), take a pipette and pull a little skimmate from the cup and inject several drops back down the neck of the skimmer then put the cup back on. that should settle it down for a bit. It may, however, resume generating micros again but of a lesser amount.

try those two things and report back

oh, and let your KH fall naturally to around 8.2 to 10. 14 is pretty high. what's your pH

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’m not pulling anything in the skimmer so I will tighten the valve and remove the cup.
My PH seems to fluctuate between 8.2 and 8.5 over the past week. I’ve been testing a lot as it’s a new tank and want to make sure I’m not doing anything wrong...when I first had the tank up and running I couldn’t get to 8 for the life of me. I did a water change about 10 days ago and since then I’ve been 8.2 to 8.5

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’m not pulling anything in the skimmer so I will tighten the valve and remove the cup.
My PH seems to fluctuate between 8.2 and 8.5 over the past week. I’ve been testing a lot as it’s a new tank and want to make sure I’m not doing anything wrong...when I first had the tank up and running I couldn’t get to 8 for the life of me. I did a water change about 10 days ago and since then I’ve been 8.2 to 8.5
pH is fine;). let it run then and after a couple days, open the valve and monitor for an hour or so then report back;)

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I opened the valve back up after 2 days and i'm back to millions of bubbles all over my tank. The valve is fully open (per instructions of the manual). Should I adjust the valve to where it is barely open? Or at this point is my skimmer just defective? Or could it be that my tank is too new for it to work properly and I should wait until it has more bio load?

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef octopus skipper with a sciee pump that I've been running for years. My sump is in the basement so I run a hose from my collection cup directly to the basement sump pump. A couple months ago the skimmer basicaly drained my sump out of nowhere. My apex sent me an alarm and luckily I had some salt water made up so unplugged the skimmer filled it back up. I cleaned the skimmer good and turned it back on and it seemed to be bubling as expected. It ran for a month or so and the same thing happened again. I added a new optical sensor to my apex to turn the skimmer off before this happens again but can anyone help me with my my skimmer will be running well for a month and then just go crazy out of the blue and pump water out? I have had the sme skimmer and setup for years without this issue. Im not sure what could have changed or what would cause this.

Thanks

tasador

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have a dought, my reef tank right now is a cube (60cm x 60cm x 60cm) with a sump (50x50x50)
I'm using as skimmer the Tunze 9410 since the beginning ( 2018 ), I will change the tank with the table as the table as water damage
The new tank will be
(90x60x60) and the table will be in Inox, but I won't change the sump right now so it will be the same.

Should I look for a another skimmer wich one do yo suggest.
I saw the Nyos 160 look cool but at the time I bought the tunze the saleman told me the tunze was better.
now I have dough.
thanks for any help

old salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I am still learning so don't laugh. I want to no if I can run a 75 gal. with just a skimmer. I am using a cannister right now.

Ozzydeanizzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi does any body know how to tune a nyos quantum 120/160 skimmer??
I have had it running for over a year now and I can’t seem to get it dialed in perfectly
Thanks

llovasco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a bunch of larger bubbles from the back under my top magnet of my Tunze 9004 skimmer. Does anyone know what could be causing this? There are a few micro bubbles from the side but they are not really a bother but the ones coming from the back are excessive.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RO Regal 200 with the Ext pump, this is a new skimmer, I unplugged the controller by removing the plug, and when I was done with the matience on the tank, I plugged it back in, and now my skimmer will not turn back on, this skimmer has the Various 4 pumps. Any ideas what is wrong with it?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer my own question, the impeller was jammed with something, I pulled that skimmer from my 120 gallon experiment, I was getting a finger width a week of skimmate, I put my Simpley 240 in and I am getting a full cup a day now, so I still do not believe in the option put the largest skimmer in that you can fit. I believe in the proper sizing makes a perfect fit, aka Bubble King 160 in a 90-gallon tank. My 120 tank has 4 large fish the size of my hand, they will be going in a. 225-gallon tank.

wheels 45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Coralife protein skimmer on my 32 gallon biocube. They have come out with v2 now. The original uses a limestone and the other doesn't. Is V2 worth the upgrade or should I stick with what I got? Does vs 2 work better?

crappie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20long and trying to grow a mixed reef. I currently have a seaclone 100 and considering upgrading to an octopus brand. Should I go with the classic 90 or 1000? I don’t have a sump so Both are HOB and I the designs are different but the price is similar. Just looking for opinions or if anyone has a better idea please let me know

NYreefNOOB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mojo
This is the official R2R Skimmer Q&A Thread where the answers to your questions are as concentrated as skimmate!

We will do our best as a community to answer questions you have concerning protein skimmers so ask away!

Thank you!
you still around ? still playing with and testing skimmers ? the guy who has had more skimmers then me...

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it time for a new skimmer?
I'm currently running a Reef Octo HOB 1000 on my 46 bowfront. For the past 3 weeks or so, it hasn't been pulling much from the water. I have tried cleaning it and nothing changed. My corals are starting to look angry and some of my perameters are now out of whack.
Nitrate 6
Nitrite less then 0.01
Phosphate 1
Calcium 410
Magnesium 1280
Alk 7
Ph 7.8
Ammonia 0.25
My big concern is the high ammonia and phosphate. Is poor skimming the cause of this or should I be looking for a different problem?

Back