Skimmer Q&A Thread

epicenter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question Mojo The MSX25A has a footprint to large for me but the REEF FILTRATION 250A fitts. Are these skimmers equal in performance? Thanks for your time. Chris

Praxis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread Mojo. What would you suggest fir 110 tall with a limited footprint space? Sump is a Megaflow 3. About 8x12. It will eventually be a mixed reef . tank. I have only found 170 alpha that would fit so far. Would that be suficient?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bk mini 180, atb 840 large wheel, msx 160. MRC ocean force 300.

you sump space is some what limited. take a look at all those and see what you think.

Mojo

Praxis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to build new sump. I am newer to the reef tank hobby and have been swayed to go refugium rather than bioballs. Space is no longer an issue. You still suggest atb 840 for 110 (mixed reef with decent amount of fish) with 30 gal sump? Or should I go bigger fir the bioload? I am looking at the MSX 1a, ATB 840 or 1050 (if needed) , or Vertex 200 alpha. I am not looking to spend money just to spend it, but I just want this to be a one time purchase. Also .... I notice you don't really recomdnt the vertex alpha cones too much. Do / have they dussapointed?

Well thanks in advance. Yer final recomendation here us probably what I'll be orderring (no presure lol). I just having trouble pulling the trigger on the big ticket item.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the msx 1a and the 1050a are both awesome skimmers. But I think you would be wasting your money. I think the ATB 840 would do just fine for your volume. You can always go the the ATB large pinwheel in the pump to pull more air and water if you think you need it. But with you system volume I would say for sure get the atb 840.

The vertex skimmers alpha's that is. Just have too many issues that need ironed out before I can stand behind them. I have had two of them now and both had issues. Nozzle lengths ect... 250 not pulling enough air to match the neck. the 170 kinda low on air draw for neck size and water dripping out of the wedgepipe hole ect. They are playing around with things I thnk should of ben done before customers are spending their hard earned money on. Why not just buy something that is plug and play with no issues what so ever. I guess thats my thought.

Good luck and congrats on being able to get a new skimmer.

Mojo~

epicenter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I did get the SWC250A & did not realize that the collection cup just sits on top of skimmer neck without a snap ring or any thing else to clamp it to the neck. Is this a bad feature, will it tend to leak at this point?

TwistedTiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I did get the SWC250A & did not realize that the collection cup just sits on top of skimmer neck without a snap ring or any thing else to clamp it to the neck. Is this a bad feature, will it tend to leak at this point?
My BM 200 is the same way and works just fine, no leaks.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

it will be fine. Almost all the new skimmers are that way. No leaks. How does it perform?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well once again I got my hand slapped on another site for a review that didnt meet their guidlines I guess. I asked to bring my review and future reviews over to R2R along with my new cone DIY skimmer build. Thanks again R2R members and I hope to be of more help.

Mojo~

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have some pics this weekend. I am pretty excited about it. Should be pretty nice.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no problem at all glad to help.

epicenter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I hooked this thing up (SWC250A) & it started skimming right off the bat. I have always heard there was a break in period. It was a little unstable the first few days & overflowed 3 times before it settled down but seems to be working good.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea I would of ran it wide open for the first couple days. this would of helped keep it from overflowing. Takes some time for things to slime up.

Sr5_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would you suggest for a 65gal total water volume, Heavy stocked. Mainly lps/zoas but some SPS.

I want to go with a nw150, because i have it new. BUT was thinking of a cone or maybe something else that will produce more skim.

whats your opinion on the NW150. (new model with bubble plate)

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the nw 150 isnt bad. it can be modded a little to give it a boost. that skimmer would work or maybe a small cone or the vertex in 100

antonio_mota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mojo,itś me again.I'm thinking on buying a supermarine 250 from Royal Exclusiv.
Any knowledge on it?
It is for skimming two tanks one frag tank that's about 130Gl and the other is 270 Gl
with a common sump
I'd like your opinion on that

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 92 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back