Skimmer Q&A Thread

Sr5_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the nw 150 isnt bad. it can be modded a little to give it a boost. that skimmer would work or maybe a small cone or the vertex in 100
What small cone skimmer would you suggest. lets say 500$ is max range.
I know there will be many new cones coming out with lower price ranges, can you suggest a good one that you have tested?

Thank you

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cpr I used was kinda loud and didnt work all that well. If you must do a hang on the back I would suggest a deltec, bermuda rogue, or the msx or octo one. cant think of the model off hand. Oh and last but least the Warner marine hx2 is really nice.In sump save a couple buck and get a vertex in 100. It would do a nice job for you.

Thanks for the advice, I actually just got the newest Warner Marine H2. Just set it up yesterday and will post a review in a few weeks of it. I must say though that the build quality is excellent.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea I wasnt sure when the H2 was coming out but thats a great choice.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What small cone skimmer would you suggest. lets say 500$ is max range.
I know there will be many new cones coming out with lower price ranges, can you suggest a good one that you have tested?

Thank you
Not sure how small you need But the ATB 840 1.5 is the best balanced one I have used. under $500 right now there are only two that I could suggest. The octo cone and the cs 200. if you can go it out a cone shape then the WM as 150 is a good choice, and the vertex IN series.

Sr5_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that atb 840 1.5 is saweeeet. IM definitely going to save up for something comparable.
Would you say the ATB 840 is comparable to the Vertex Alpha 170 as far as over all performance. SKim mate, noise, efficiency?
For some reason i get a feeling these skimmers will OVER skim my system. I know theyre rated for a 200 gal tank, but for a heavy stock 65 gallon total water volume system, i think it might be negative to pull so much out?

Whats your thoughts and opinions on that?
Im surprised that there isnt a small version of these that has a 100-150 gal limit.
I would be interested in a WM k1 if they ever come out with it. I have used WM as 150 before and love it. but i would be interested in getting a cone this time

epicenter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I managed to break off the ozone inlet tube on the back of the Askol pump. I do not think this is drilled through but I do run ozone so what do I do now. Over drill a hole where I broke piece off volute & glue it in the hole I drilled?????

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds about all you could do to fix it. MAy I ask why you run ozone. seems like most that did run stopped. Just curious.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that atb 840 1.5 is saweeeet. IM definitely going to save up for something comparable.
Would you say the ATB 840 is comparable to the Vertex Alpha 170 as far as over all performance. SKim mate, noise, efficiency?
For some reason i get a feeling these skimmers will OVER skim my system. I know theyre rated for a 200 gal tank, but for a heavy stock 65 gallon total water volume system, i think it might be negative to pull so much out?

Whats your thoughts and opinions on that?
Im surprised that there isnt a small version of these that has a 100-150 gal limit.
I would be interested in a WM k1 if they ever come out with it. I have used WM as 150 before and love it. but i would be interested in getting a cone this time

Well there are some smaller cones that are coming out really soon. I don t know if I can say from who or anything yet. But if the k1 does come out it should be a nice fit as well.

epicenter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds about all you could do to fix it. MAy I ask why you run ozone. seems like most that did run stopped. Just curious.
I was told that ozone helps disinfect the water & raises the orp. Way back when it seemed to make a differance but now it has been off the system for over a month & I do not see a difference. Why have most people that used ozone stoped?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the gsa cones. But for the moneyI think you still have to buy the pump. Seems like they are built well. I cannot comment on performance as I have not had one or read too many trust worthy articles on them. If you get one be sure to post. IF you are looking for a cheaply priced cone check out the cs200.

Good luck and let us know what you do

KafudaFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone making a good HOB for tanks that are 55 gallon or less? I know this is not much in details but it always seems that this group has missed most of the advances in skimmer technology during the last 2 years.

Thanks.

Hahnmeister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QC problems. My buddy Tom O. ordered 2 of them... both had defective motors right out of the box, and the price does not mean great service. You are at the mercy of the dealer, as RE doesnt deal with warranty issues directly.

I think there are many other makes that match performance and have either more value or better customer service (or both). I will admit though... I am rather anti-RE these days though.

KafudaFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you. I happened to find an article on HOB over on glassbox 5 minutes after posting my question.

Usefulidiot213

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mojo,
This thread is awesome, and the info your just giving away I would pay for :D The funny part is I just joined R2R because I was reading your DIY thread on reefcentral that was closed. So R2R can thank you for bringing me over too :)
My question is I have a 100 gal Heavy stocked mixed reef. I have no sump, and run two HOB Remora pros. They do a decent job, but I am pretty sure I can get more out of them. Do know what the trick to these skimmers are? One has a crapy Rio 1400 pump and the other has a Mag 3. One I can't stop from running wet, and the other I can't get going it seems. I have switch the pumps to see if that would change anything, and it doesn't. What would you suggest with all your skimmer knowledge?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the remoras are tricky, I believe they have an adjustment screw. HOB are just tricky in my opinon compared to the in sump models.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would like to throw out there the hurricone skimmer with the Askoll 1500 with custom machined volute and pinwheel. there are the cat 1- cat 3. i have the cat-1 on my 90 and it is a beast!! my friend has the cat-2 on his 300 and the gunk that comes out of it is amazing!!

just wanted to throw out my .02...

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back