Skimmer Q&A Thread

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a Tunze 9004 DC? I bought this new for a small tank. It has an adjustable air line which I have dialed all the way open. The primary adjustment is the water level which is changed by moving it up and down in the water with magnetic attachments. I'm not even seeing bubbles no matter where i move it in the water column or where I dial the air line. I have opened up the case to look at the interior and it doesn't make any sense. The air line is just loose above the "foamer" which is just a pump.

Any thoughts?

D_Nyholm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a Tunze 9004 DC? I bought this new for a small tank. It has an adjustable air line which I have dialed all the way open. The primary adjustment is the water level which is changed by moving it up and down in the water with magnetic attachments. I'm not even seeing bubbles no matter where i move it in the water column or where I dial the air line. I have opened up the case to look at the interior and it doesn't make any sense. The air line is just loose above the "foamer" which is just a pump.

Any thoughts?
The airline should attach to the end of the pump in some way. On my skimmer it just pushes on to the end of the pump

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
The airline should attach to the end of the pump in some way. On my skimmer it just pushes on to the end of the pump

It just sits above the pump. Sometimes I've opened the case and it's below the pump.

This is all it does. No bubbles.

I think I'll post in the Tunze subforum

Last edited:

D_Nyholm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

It just sits above the pump. Sometimes I've opened the case and it's below the pump.

This is all it does. No bubbles.

I think I'll post in the Tunze subforum
Did you attach the air hose to the foamer? If the air hose is just sitting there it won't pull air in to make the bubbles

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...lG1LEV34HMQu1N1pg&sig2=PGsJ6S4vfGsqD3-10zb9qw

Toward the end of the manual where it shows disassembly you will see where the air hose attaches to the foamer. Page 38 image 5

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wassilllo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys !
I'd like to buy a new skimmer for my 46 gallon reeftank + 13 gallon sump but I still can't really decide. Which one should I buy and why ? Bubble magus Curve 5 or Reef Octopus NW 110-6520B ? I''ve already read and watched some reviews but I haven't found any comparisons. Thanks in advance reefers !

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know the difference between Reef Octopus Diablo and Regal? Look same to me?

cdrewferd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a skimmer that will work on my current 58g build, but also work when I upgrade to a 90 cube later down the line. I want a lot of fish, so oversizing is ok. I would like to stay around $300 and that seems to be causing me issues in finding something. What do you guys think would be reliable, very quiet, and good performer for what I'm looking for?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a skimmer that will work on my current 58g build, but also work when I upgrade to a 90 cube later down the line. I want a lot of fish, so oversizing is ok. I would like to stay around $300 and that seems to be causing me issues in finding something. What do you guys think would be reliable, very quiet, and good performer for what I'm looking for?

Seems like a good fit for an AquaC Remora or (if you have a sump) Urchin...classic designs with all kinds of advantages....no need to go all the way to $300.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coworker is giving me a skimmer meant for his 125gallon (which he has as freshwater now). I plan to use it for my 58 gallon (in 20gallon sump). Do you think this will be overkill? I've never used a skimmer before and the tank isn't setup yet. Maybe his skimmer is already upsize but idk. Just wondering if I should try and use it to trade for a skimmer in my gallon range or keep it and run it. Thanks

GreensoldierUSA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a skimz sm251 and I really do not care for it. So looking for a new one. So far Im thinking about the reef octo regal 300int or the Tunze doc 9430. Anyone have experience with these? or would suggest a different one.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the 9410 and I sold a buddy the 9415 for one of his tanks. Both are solid performers. (His words: "A beast.")

The 9430 can be expected to follow suit. :)

What size display? What's the overall system size?

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the 9410 and I sold a buddy the 9415 for one of his tanks. Both are solid performers. (His words: "A beast.")

The 9430 can be expected to follow suit. :)

What size display? What's the overall system size?
+1 on the 9410.... A Beast

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any input on which skimmer to run on a 60 gallon (basically a taller 55g)?

I want to run either the HB1000 or the HB2000. Mostly Softies and LPS. No SPS. I had the HB1000 on a 29 gallon and it was wayy to clean where my SPS boomed but my lps and softies couldnt grow quick. Spot feedings wouldnt help just too much skimmer for the tank. I do plan on over stocking this tank a tad and just keep up on my WC but i wanted to toss out for some input.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaC Remora.

Skimming less is always an option.

Feeding more is an option. (Though feeding your fish more is usually the best way to go.)

Dosing something like potassium nitrate is yet another option.

:)

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just grabbed an Artfully Acrylic 28 AIO and am trying to decide which skimmer I should put in the back. I was looking at the Tunze 9004 and 9001 but both seem to have fairly mixed reviews. The 9001 series is nice because I could put it in either the center or side slots in the back and it doesn't have surface skimming which I don't need since its an AIO. I have read in several places however that the 9001 doesn't really pull a great skim. What would everyone recommend that would fit and where would you place it in the center channel or one of the sides? The dimensions of the back of the tank can be seen here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-artfully-acrylic-all-in-one-aquarium-series.220258/

Thanks,
Nathan

satan star

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bought a NYOS quantum because something really interested me about it. I've read several reviews that were some what unpleasant, but I decided to roll the dice anyway. A year later I couldn't be more happy with it. Out of the several skimmers I've owned over the years this is by far my favorite I give it a 10/10 hands down.
e7f188538df4b9cd0c21a02ea4e35523.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back