Skimmer Q&A Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment, Lighting, Hardware, Aquarium Filtration' started by mojo, Jul 16, 2009.

1. ReeferMike420

ReeferMike420 Member

i have a BM curve 5 thats pretty new and is making a loudish sound from the air silencer. when i cover the hole it stops. Any ideas on how to quiet this down to when it was new?

2. luke33

luke33 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

When was the last time you cleaned out the venturi and air hole? Could be clogged and causing this issue.

ReeferMike420 likes this.
  3. luke33

If your looking for cheap as you can get you will not find anything better than this guy imo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCA-301-SC-...706231?hash=item2caa0f8a77:g:WT4AAOxy0NtTEu8U

If you want to spend a few more $'s on a quality skimmer i would go with something like this

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/eshopps-x120-axium-protein-skimmer-rated-40120gallons.html

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz-sn143-monzter-mini-protein-skimmer.html

4. luke33

Sounds like your ready for a skimmer with that bioload! The first thing you need is an area for a skimmer that has a consistent water depth. Generally this is your first compartment your drain lines come into with a baffle. If you have that your next thing is to see how big of a footprint you have for a skimmer, then whats your budget. I'll put a few down that I would look at if i had a moderately stocked 120g tank with a middle of the road budget.

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/d700-skimmer/

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/reef-octopus-classic-202s-8-compact-skimmer.html

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/eshopps-x160-axium-protein-skimmer-rated-100225gallons.html

Any of these skimmers would work great for your system. Personally I would go with the reefbreeders.

5. ReeferMike420

ReeferMike420 Member

thanx man that did the trick

luke33 likes this.
  6. Reef2zach

Reef2zach Well-Known Member

Hey guys. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Hydor 700 skimmer. I purchased one for my 200gal. "Says it's rated for 300 gal". And this thing foams so much it filled the cup up with water in like 3 minutes. I understand how skimmers work with water flow and air flow and the need to dial them in. But no matter how I set this it just overflows. Any thoughts? It's a brand new skimmer and was not cheap so I'd like to get it working

7. leahfiish

leahfiish Well-Known Member

I have a Reef Octopus 152-s set up in my sump (Eshopps R-200). It's a new tank so I wasnt really in a huge rush to get it running as I had nothing to skim out, so I had just been running it without the cup on to keep the water in the skimmer section circulated (otherwise I had a gross film on the top). I want to get it dialed in now but I'm having some issues. It is constantly overflowing with foam. I've tried different water levels, but I would prefer to keep the water in the sump a little higher, about 10 inches. But I've tried it all the way down to about 6.5" and it still is always overflowing. Right now I have the water level at 10 inches and I've created a little platform out of pvc and a spare piece of glass that is about 2.5 inches tall, so the water level for the skimmer is about 7.5". The recommended height for my skimmer is 6.5-8" so it should be well within the range. I've tried adjusting the gate valve on the skimmer with no effect, as well. Any advice?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    MacQac likes this.
  8. graciesdad

graciesdad Member

I have a Bubble Magus BM180EX. I want to upgrade the pump to something much quieter. Any suggestions?

9. italquam

italquam Well-Known Member

Hi does anyone know what would cause crazing in a Protein skimmer collection cup. I have a JNS CO-2 skimmer and there is a lot of crazing in the skimmer cup.

10. Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30 Well-Known Member

Anyone used a Corallife Super Skimmer 125? Are they worth it?

11. jason2459

jason2459 Not a paid scientist R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I used to have one. It was not worth it. I did convert it into an airstone driven skimmer and did better.

mcarroll likes this.
  12. Sealife Aquariums Corp.

Sealife Aquariums Corp. Member

Some skimmers strip the nutrients out of the tank. I utilize foaming action one time/week and after refugium back to display tank.
    I built my own with plumbing from local plumbing shop.

13. mcarroll

mcarroll Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member

Pretty simple mod? Sometimes those Superskimmers go for cheap. (I think I might even be able to get more than one for free. :D)

14. Steveso

Steveso Member

15. Steveso

Steveso Member

I have just recently bought a Fluval PS2 mini protein skimmer for my Biocube 29 and am having a problem fitting it in the 3rd chamber properly. Does anyone have any experience or suggestion I might try? Thanks.

16. vdigiorgio

vdigiorgio Active Member

Have you added any additives to the tank water? ie.. epoxy, dr tims products, etc...? New tank water can also cause this.. How long have you had it running? is it a new skimmer?
    I had the same problem with my vertex 200i and could never get it to stop overflowing. I finally just changed the skimmer to the deltec sc1455 and its been working perfectly.

17. leahfiish

leahfiish Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comment. I eventually got it working, had to drop the water level much lower - 4 to 5" and now it's good to go.

MacQac likes this.
  18. rbraunberger

rbraunberger Well-Known Member Article Contributor

I have a NYOS Quantum 160 skimmer. Anyone know of a neck cleaner that works with this skimmer? Maybe the Avast Marine one?

Thanks!

19. demonspeedn

demonspeedn Active Member

I got a new DC pump for my Reef Octopus skimmer and it is more powerful than the original pump. Would it be better to run the pump at full power and open the return valve, or close the valve and reduce the power of the pump? I have a heavy bioload, so I'm looking to make the most skimmate.-

20. fragit

fragit Well-Known Member

I posted this in the general equipment thread. Maybe some of you guys/gals will be able to offer some help here also.

I have a reef octopus 220-S classic internal skimmer. I really like it. Problem is twice over the last month the thing for no apparent reason starts to overflow. It runs great and then boom full skimmer cup sump full of skim mate big mess gross! I don't get it. I do have my airline going to the garage and it probably did start when I put the line out there. Would temperature effect the surface tension in the skimmer? Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!