Skimmer Q&A Thread

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone recommend a small, inexpensive in sump skimmer for my 40 gallon frag tank with 20 gallon sump? It has 2 fish in it and is bare bottom. I like the reef octopus classic 110 but would like to spend less as the frag tank barely needs a skimmer anyway

Water depth is about 7 to 8 inches if that matters

If your looking for cheap as you can get you will not find anything better than this guy imo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCA-301-SC-...706231?hash=item2caa0f8a77:g:WT4AAOxy0NtTEu8U

If you want to spend a few more $'s on a quality skimmer i would go with something like this

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/eshopps-x120-axium-protein-skimmer-rated-40120gallons.html

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz-sn143-monzter-mini-protein-skimmer.html

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, rather than post a new thread, I figured I would post here to get advice. I don't have time this second to look at all of the other posts here, but I will do that soon. Any direct advice would be awesome. I have a VERY basic set up. 120 gal tank, 38 gal sump (old fish tank), water flows into filter sock, 2 pieces of live rock in the sump, then the return pump. Been running 76 days fallow. All numbers are good, calcium, phosphates run .05 - .03, nitrites are zero. Nitrates are a little high - around 20-40. I have corals growing well - zoas, mushrooms, acan, hammer and 2 sticks (but I don't know what kind). All are gowing and doing well. I just added 2 baby clowns, have a fox face, sailfin, and 2 firefish in QT to add soon. Hoping to get a pair of blue jaw triggers, couple goby's, a green mandarin, and not sure what else. (Obviously, this will take LOTS of time). But with my current set up, I am thinking protein skimmer is the next priority to add to the filtration, since basically right now I am just using a filter sock and that is all. Any advice on what to get would be helpful as I have absolutely NO CLUE what I am looking for. I have done some research on @Bulk Reef Supply website, but still not sure what I need for my 120. Thanks in advance! :)

Sounds like your ready for a skimmer with that bioload! The first thing you need is an area for a skimmer that has a consistent water depth. Generally this is your first compartment your drain lines come into with a baffle. If you have that your next thing is to see how big of a footprint you have for a skimmer, then whats your budget. I'll put a few down that I would look at if i had a moderately stocked 120g tank with a middle of the road budget.

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/d700-skimmer/

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/reef-octopus-classic-202s-8-compact-skimmer.html

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/eshopps-x160-axium-protein-skimmer-rated-100225gallons.html

Any of these skimmers would work great for your system. Personally I would go with the reefbreeders.

Reef2zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Hydor 700 skimmer. I purchased one for my 200gal. "Says it's rated for 300 gal". And this thing foams so much it filled the cup up with water in like 3 minutes. I understand how skimmers work with water flow and air flow and the need to dial them in. But no matter how I set this it just overflows. Any thoughts? It's a brand new skimmer and was not cheap so I'd like to get it working

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Octopus 152-s set up in my sump (Eshopps R-200). It's a new tank so I wasnt really in a huge rush to get it running as I had nothing to skim out, so I had just been running it without the cup on to keep the water in the skimmer section circulated (otherwise I had a gross film on the top). I want to get it dialed in now but I'm having some issues. It is constantly overflowing with foam. I've tried different water levels, but I would prefer to keep the water in the sump a little higher, about 10 inches. But I've tried it all the way down to about 6.5" and it still is always overflowing. Right now I have the water level at 10 inches and I've created a little platform out of pvc and a spare piece of glass that is about 2.5 inches tall, so the water level for the skimmer is about 7.5". The recommended height for my skimmer is 6.5-8" so it should be well within the range. I've tried adjusting the gate valve on the skimmer with no effect, as well. Any advice?
d04456003cb9e7192f5c318ca877158a.jpg

Last edited:

graciesdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bubble Magus BM180EX. I want to upgrade the pump to something much quieter. Any suggestions?

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi does anyone know what would cause crazing in a Protein skimmer collection cup. I have a JNS CO-2 skimmer and there is a lot of crazing in the skimmer cup.

Sealife Aquariums Corp.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some skimmers strip the nutrients out of the tank. I utilize foaming action one time/week and after refugium back to display tank.
I built my own with plumbing from local plumbing shop.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have one. It was not worth it. I did convert it into an airstone driven skimmer and did better.

Pretty simple mod? Sometimes those Superskimmers go for cheap. (I think I might even be able to get more than one for free. :D)

Steveso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the official R2R Skimmer Q&A Thread where the answers to your questions are as concentrated as skimmate!

We will do our best as a community to answer questions you have concerning protein skimmers so ask away!

Thank you!

Steveso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just recently bought a Fluval PS2 mini protein skimmer for my Biocube 29 and am having a problem fitting it in the 3rd chamber properly. Does anyone have any experience or suggestion I might try? Thanks.

vdigiorgio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Octopus 152-s set up in my sump (Eshopps R-200). It's a new tank so I wasnt really in a huge rush to get it running as I had nothing to skim out, so I had just been running it without the cup on to keep the water in the skimmer section circulated (otherwise I had a gross film on the top). I want to get it dialed in now but I'm having some issues. It is constantly overflowing with foam. I've tried different water levels, but I would prefer to keep the water in the sump a little higher, about 10 inches. But I've tried it all the way down to about 6.5" and it still is always overflowing. Right now I have the water level at 10 inches and I've created a little platform out of pvc and a spare piece of glass that is about 2.5 inches tall, so the water level for the skimmer is about 7.5". The recommended height for my skimmer is 6.5-8" so it should be well within the range. I've tried adjusting the gate valve on the skimmer with no effect, as well. Any advice?
d04456003cb9e7192f5c318ca877158a.jpg
Have you added any additives to the tank water? ie.. epoxy, dr tims products, etc...? New tank water can also cause this.. How long have you had it running? is it a new skimmer?
I had the same problem with my vertex 200i and could never get it to stop overflowing. I finally just changed the skimmer to the deltec sc1455 and its been working perfectly.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added any additives to the tank water? ie.. epoxy, dr tims products, etc...? New tank water can also cause this.. How long have you had it running? is it a new skimmer?
I had the same problem with my vertex 200i and could never get it to stop overflowing. I finally just changed the skimmer to the deltec sc1455 and its been working perfectly.
Thanks for the comment. I eventually got it working, had to drop the water level much lower - 4 to 5" and now it's good to go.

rbraunberger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a NYOS Quantum 160 skimmer. Anyone know of a neck cleaner that works with this skimmer? Maybe the Avast Marine one?

Thanks!

demonspeedn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new DC pump for my Reef Octopus skimmer and it is more powerful than the original pump. Would it be better to run the pump at full power and open the return valve, or close the valve and reduce the power of the pump? I have a heavy bioload, so I'm looking to make the most skimmate.-

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in the general equipment thread. Maybe some of you guys/gals will be able to offer some help here also.

I have a reef octopus 220-S classic internal skimmer. I really like it. Problem is twice over the last month the thing for no apparent reason starts to overflow. It runs great and then boom full skimmer cup sump full of skim mate big mess gross! I don't get it. I do have my airline going to the garage and it probably did start when I put the line out there. Would temperature effect the surface tension in the skimmer? Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi does anyone know what would cause crazing in a Protein skimmer collection cup. I have a JNS CO-2 skimmer and there is a lot of crazing in the skimmer cup.

Heat or vibration, so far as I know. Maybe ozone? Bad batch of acrylic? I'd ask JNS. It should only be a cosmetic issue though. How bad does it look?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in the general equipment thread. Maybe some of you guys/gals will be able to offer some help here also.

I have a reef octopus 220-S classic internal skimmer. I really like it. Problem is twice over the last month the thing for no apparent reason starts to overflow. It runs great and then boom full skimmer cup sump full of skim mate big mess gross! I don't get it. I do have my airline going to the garage and it probably did start when I put the line out there. Would temperature effect the surface tension in the skimmer? Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!

Increase the diameter of that airline.

Also remove the airline from the skimmer and check for crusty buildup – especially inside the inlet where it might be hard to see.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back