Skimmer Q&A Thread

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by mojo, Jul 16, 2009.

1. ryan316

ryan316 Well-Known Member

Hello I need some help, I have a 40b with about 15 lps frags (buying more soon, plus sps, bubble tip anemone, 4 clowns, diamond golby, flame angel, cleaner shrimp, 2 emerald crabs, about 2 dozen red/blue leg crabs, a dozen snails. Xr30w G4, hob emperor 400, and currently a sea clone 1000 I believe that is not performing like it used to.. I'm looking to upgrade the skimmer but it needs to be a hob hence I do not have room for a sump. I'm looking for recommendations, possibly best bang for my buck, not looking to spend more than around 200

2. mcarroll

mcarroll Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Tunze 9415 or AquaC EV240 would be my top choices. Any time is OK, but no need to rush....maybe consider adding the skimmer along with the livestock?

Tunze 9410 or AquaC EV120. :)

The Tunze DOC Skimmer 9004 DC is magnetically mounted....even better than HOB. :)

..or..

AquaC Remora.

3. Cyproz

Cyproz Well-Known Member

Hello, i have a 120 gallon with 40 gallon sump and i plan to have about 15 fish in it.
    Right now im running a 40 gallon breeder DT with a Your choice aquatics DC10. I love this skimmer but it is too small for my new tank.
    The footprint is very small and they have a bigger one i could get for around 250.

Just looking for small in sump footprint skimmers under say 400. I want to check out everything else out there before i purchase

4. indyjaco

indyjaco Well-Known Member

Skimmer for a 120G for under $300?

Thinking RO 150 or 152

Cyproz likes this.
  5. jason2459

jason2459 Not a paid scientist R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I'd look at an Aquamaxx ConeS Q2 or a Seaside aquatics ES7.

How much space (LxWxH) do you have and water depth to run in?

6. indyjaco

Right now my sump is set to 9" deep, I have plenty of space (27" tall), but the opening into sump is 8". So one of the L or H has to be 8"

I lean towards the RO due to warranty and pump issues Aquamaxx had.

7. Cyproz

Cyproz Well-Known Member

dc16 Your Choice Aquatics.
    its sold at billys reef connection

8. jason2459

jason2459 Not a paid scientist R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

If you're in the US Coralvue is a great distributor and I've never had an issue working with them. The RO classic line is solid. May not be the best but most everyone are happy with them.

9. Cyproz

Cyproz Well-Known Member

i use cermedia plates that are 1 inch tall to raise my skimmer to proper level if needed. they are very useful.

10. indyjaco

I am in Indiana so it is nice. Saltwater Aquarium has the Regal 150 INT for $355 + 10% back right now. That will most likely be what I get.

I do like the design of the 152 though.

11. mdlc805

mdlc805 Well-Known Member

would anyone be able to help me with my psk75 in sump skimmer its been running now for 4 months and i cant get it to work properly. i constantly need to adjust it. it is in a 20 gallon long 9 inches of water. i set it to the neck and it sometimes works fine other times doesn't produce enough bubbles or sometimes the water level drops on its own and i need to readjust but i can never get it to work properly for more than a couple of days without me having to mess with it.

12. Cyproz

Cyproz Well-Known Member

budget 300$, really wanna spend 250 or less though.
    footprint doesnt matter because i have built my sump yet.
    looking for the highest overkill for bioload.
    my tank will be a 120 gallon with a 40 gallon sump. probably a total of 140 gallons.

right now im using a your choice/seaside aquatics dc10 and i love it. they have a small footprint and skim alot.

so my first choice right now is a dc16 rated for up to 240 gallons

13. luke33

luke33 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Does the water fluctuate in your skimmer sump section? Have you cleaned out the venturi hole as it may have build up some salt or calc creep in the hole blocking the air flow.

14. luke33

luke33 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

The reefbreeders skimmer line is tough to beat, may want to check them out as well. Anymore the DC skimmers are all running the same pump's and have similar bodies, so find one with the footprint you like that has the design you like and i'm sure it'll work fine.

Cyproz likes this.
  15. Cyproz

Cyproz Well-Known Member

thanks
    yea it seems alot of companies are just basic clones.

16. Mini Coop

Mini Coop Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Ok, rather than post a new thread, I figured I would post here to get advice. I don't have time this second to look at all of the other posts here, but I will do that soon. Any direct advice would be awesome. I have a VERY basic set up. 120 gal tank, 38 gal sump (old fish tank), water flows into filter sock, 2 pieces of live rock in the sump, then the return pump. Been running 76 days fallow. All numbers are good, calcium, phosphates run .05 - .03, nitrites are zero. Nitrates are a little high - around 20-40. I have corals growing well - zoas, mushrooms, acan, hammer and 2 sticks (but I don't know what kind). All are gowing and doing well. I just added 2 baby clowns, have a fox face, sailfin, and 2 firefish in QT to add soon. Hoping to get a pair of blue jaw triggers, couple goby's, a green mandarin, and not sure what else. (Obviously, this will take LOTS of time). But with my current set up, I am thinking protein skimmer is the next priority to add to the filtration, since basically right now I am just using a filter sock and that is all. Any advice on what to get would be helpful as I have absolutely NO CLUE what I am looking for. I have done some research on @Bulk Reef Supply website, but still not sure what I need for my 120. Thanks in advance! :)

17. indyjaco

I'd look for a solid 6" body skimmer based on the depth of your sump and space you have available.

18. Mini Coop

Mini Coop Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Any brand you recommend or where to get it from? Do I need a separate chamber for the water to flow into for this to work?

19. indyjaco

I'd recommend an Octopus Skimmer due to warranty and reputation. You will want the skimmer in an area where the water height is stable.

Anything bigger than a 6" body won't be consistent.

20. D_Nyholm

D_Nyholm Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a small, inexpensive in sump skimmer for my 40 gallon frag tank with 20 gallon sump? It has 2 fish in it and is bare bottom. I like the reef octopus classic 110 but would like to spend less as the frag tank barely needs a skimmer anyway

Water depth is about 7 to 8 inches if that matters

Draft saved Draft deleted