Skimmer Q&A Thread

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay. that helps a lot

the bubble line is waaaay too high. lower that line where the bubbles are breaking so that they break an inch below the lower blue collar where the cup attaches. Then leave it alone for 24 hours. DO not tweak it at all and report back in 24 hours

I opened the water gate all the way but the bubble line would not drop to your specified level. It is just below the cup now?

Should I try a stand again?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I put the stand back under the skimmer and have the bubble line set to your suggestion.
Okay. Is the skimmer still within the recommended sump water level range?
If so just leave it alone and don't touch it all day today and report back later this after noon. Don't worry if the foam head builds, but isn't going into the cup.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Is the skimmer still within the recommended sump water level range?
If so just leave it alone and don't touch it all day today and report back later this after noon. Don't worry if the foam head builds, but isn't going into the cup.
Pretty much stayed at the level I set it at on the lower blue ring for the cup. Very little foam created. I still have it on the one inch stand which puts it at about 7" of water which is the lowest recommendation per the instruction manual.

I am guessing my tank is just to clean at this point to generate any real skim foam? 2 months in and 4 fish with regular feeding 3x per day. 2x pellets and frozen once.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much stayed at the level I set it at on the lower blue ring for the cup. Very little foam created. I still have it on the one inch stand which puts it at about 7" of water which is the lowest recommendation per the instruction manual.

I am guessing my tank is just to clean at this point to generate any real skim foam? 2 months in and 4 fish with regular feeding 3x per day. 2x pellets and frozen once.
Leave it running for another day and don't tweak it. It needs to re adjust. A mini re-breakin so to speak.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pleasure. I've been where you are. There were no forums back then lol.

I'm old and retired and this hobby has become my passion now. I even added my first 4 corals today. I hope I can make them flourish so I can add some more. My 4 fish and couple shrimp seem fine so far.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm old and retired and this hobby has become my passion now. I even added my first 4 corals today. I hope I can make them flourish so I can add some more. My 4 fish and couple shrimp seem fine so far.
Right there with ya. Keep in mind it can take up to a year or longer for a system to fully mature. Stability is key. What corals did you add?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right there with ya. Keep in mind it can take up to a year or longer for a system to fully mature. Stability is key. What corals did you add?
3 beginner types and 1 more mid level. I got some zoas, a open brain and a plate coral. The harder one is the goniopora.

Attachments

• 20210612_153531.jpg
    20210612_153531.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 35

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 beginner types and 1 more mid level. I got some zoas, a open brain and a plate coral. The harder one is the goniopora.

Good looking corals. Keep an eye on the goni. You may struggle with that one in such a new system. They and many others are better suited to tanks that have been up and running for about a year . Beautiful set up!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking corals. Keep an eye on the goni. You may struggle with that one in such a new system. They and many others are better suited to tanks that have been up and running for about a year . Beautiful set up!

Yea, I figured that one might be beyond my current capabilities but I had $300 credit with the coral so figured I would just give it a try and see.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you Sir are a certified skimmer expert. My skimmer now is pushing dirty foam up the neck of the cup to the top. Not really spilling over yet with very little liquid in the cup. This is the best the skimmer has operated in the past 2 months and you advice certainly helped me......thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear. Let it run a little longer. Tomorrow if there is still no skim being pushed up to the cup, close the gate valve one turn and leave it for for a couple hours. Then report back.
It was at the top of the cup earlier today but nothing appeared to spill over to discard. Now it is just sitting low in the neck so will check in the morning.

Newbie219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Anyone have any recommendations for a skimmer for a Red Sea 525 XL? Sorry pretty new here, not sure if this is the right place to ask! Thank you!

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, I just noticed that we are almost neighbors. I am in Rancho Cucamonga. Which LFS do you prefer to use?
Not much around here. I stop by Jans in Montclair once in a while and Pet World along with Ocean Aquatics once in a while they are in the San Bernardino area. Pet World has some pretty decent size displays and good variety last time is was there.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much around here. I stop by Jans in Montclair once in a while and Pet World along with Ocean Aquatics once in a while they are in the San Bernardino area. Pet World has some pretty decent size displays and good variety last time is was there.

How about Global Aquatics in Ontario which is not far from you? I like to visit Bobs Tropical Fish also in East LA. Really nice clean shop there with nice selection.

Back