Skimmer Q&A Thread

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bubble King 250 Supermarin. Is there anyone here who has one who is willing to post a good video of theirs in action? I just can't seem to get it down correctly.

Colton.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 9001 skimmer vs eshopps in-sump nano? Which is best for a fiji cube aio 20 gallon peninsula? or is there a different skimmer you recommend for under $175?

Colton.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking might be (I haven't decided yet)
2 Ocellaris clownfish juveniles
1 randall shrimp/goby pair
1 Firefish
1 flaming prawn goby
Heavy bio load for 20 gallon?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 9001 skimmer vs eshopps in-sump nano? Which is best for a fiji cube aio 20 gallon peninsula? or is there a different skimmer you recommend for under $175?
haven't had the eshopps but have had a 9001 and i could not get it to perform well at all. That was a looong time ago though so knowing what i know now i may have been able to get more out of it. I like the design of the eshopps better.

may want to take a look at the NF1 or even the WS1 from aquamaxx. Not sure the WS1 would fit in that rear chamber though. it's like 5.9" wide and 3.2" deep x 14 long. runs in 8 to 10 inches h2o

maybe more will chime in ;-)

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm going to get a Deltec 600i , and they recommend a water level between 150mm - 250mm , does anyone know if they do well in a specific mark? Wanted to know so I will build the stand accordingly

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm going to get a Deltec 600i , and they recommend a water level between 150mm - 250mm , does anyone know if they do well in a specific mark? Wanted to know so I will build the stand accordingly
in case you don't get any other bites on the question, run it at just over 7 inches to just under 8 inches (18 to 20 cm). if you start on the lower end then you'll give yourself more range of adjustment with the DC pump.

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in case you don't get any other bites on the question, run it at just over 7 inches to just under 8 inches (18 to 20 cm). if you start on the lower end then you'll give yourself more range of adjustment with the DC pump.
Thank you , 1st skimmer I'll have , so actually have 0 experience tuning it. Was going for the Quantum 120 but looking out of stock everywhere , hope the deltec is as good :)

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nano skimmers usually will always skim pretty wet. I would move the rubber o-ring down a bit (1/4") to raise it & let it run for a week without cleaning the cup and report back with a pic.

So it's been a week and we have results. Definite improvement! I have the o-ring about level with where the angle changes inside the collection cup.

oneweek.jpg
oneweek2.jpg

Funny thing, I had to replace the pump mid week (same pump but the backup has a cracked housing that makes me nervous). The whole time replacing the pump I did everything I could to preserve the state of the skimmer cup. The experiment had to be preserved! ;Hilarious

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you Mojo. I have a 14g biocube project Ill be starting in the next couple of weeks. Im going to drill it for a sump and need a very small but good skimmer. Not exactly all-in-one nano small, the main reason for doing this is to get a real skimmer, but smaller than a coralife super 65. Possibly something that can run off of an mj1200. Any ideas?
The new version 2 coralife skimmer that fits in the back of the biocube is supposed to be a vast improvement over the Gen 1 and only costs like $60. There are product review videos on YouTube that looked promising.
But, then again, if you’re drilling for a sump, I’m assuming it’s because you want to take the total gallons above 32, which i think is the skimmer’s max capacity.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been a week and we have results. Definite improvement! I have the o-ring about level with where the angle changes inside the collection cup.

oneweek.jpg
oneweek2.jpg

Funny thing, I had to replace the pump mid week (same pump but the backup has a cracked housing that makes me nervous). The whole time replacing the pump I did everything I could to preserve the state of the skimmer cup. The experiment had to be preserved! ;Hilarious
that's good skimmate

it will only darken as it re-adjusts to that level. I'd say that's a winner! Sorry about the pump though!
the motor blocks are usually completely covered in resin though so a crack shouldn't be too problematic. if you start getting some tingling when your hands are in the tank then you better replace again. What pump is on that?

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's good skimmate

it will only darken as it re-adjusts to that level. I'd say that's a winner! Sorry about the pump though!
the motor blocks are usually completely covered in resin though so a crack shouldn't be too problematic. if you start getting some tingling when your hands are in the tank then you better replace again. What pump is on that?

I've fiddled and fiddled with that o-ring, I guess I never gave it enough time at one spot. Like everything in this hobby, patience! I'm glad I finally asked for some advice.

Hopefully the pump holds on and I don't end up testing the effectiveness of the GFCI.

The pump seems to be unique to this skimmer and IM says due to supply issues it will be months before they have them in stock again. I've hunted around but can't seem to find another needle wheel pump in this size.

pump.jpg

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kind of pricy but they show in stock here: https://www.aquariumdepot.ca/innova...minimax-replacement-sponge-desktop-4pk-1.html

i would just ride out the pump you have and wait for the 49 dollar ones to get re-stocked. keep an eye on the fish while you wait for a replacement because they will shows signs if there's any significant stray voltage leaking into the system. they can get real jerky (darting) and no appetite (from what i've read) along with possible HLLE.

Last edited:

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kind of pricy but they show in stock here: https://www.aquariumdepot.ca/innova...minimax-replacement-sponge-desktop-4pk-1.html

i would just ride out the pump you have and wait for the 49 dollar ones to get re-stocked. keep an eye on the fish while you wait for a replacement because they will shows signs if there's any significant stray voltage leaking into the system. they can get real jerky (darting) and no appetite (from what i've read) along with possible HLLE.

Nice find, with the exchange rate it's only about $4 more, although shipping might be another story. I will definitely continue to monitor for stray voltage, thanks for the tips.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice find, with the exchange rate it's only about $4 more, although shipping might be another story. I will definitely continue to monitor for stray voltage, thanks for the tips.
may want to get a cheap grounding probe and drop it in the AIO reservior. just plug into outlet and put in tank water.

amazon sells them and many LFS should have them in stock. mine does anyhow ;-)

Back