Skimmer Q&A Thread

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Anyone have any recommendations for a skimmer for a Red Sea 525 XL? Sorry pretty new here, not sure if this is the right place to ask! Thank you!
check the reviews on these the regals are good performers

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about Global Aquatics in Ontario which is not far from you? I like to visit Bobs Tropical Fish also in East LA. Really nice clean shop there with nice selection.
been there ;-) last time i was there i had a bad experience. I would elaborate, but maybe they fixed the issue.
wonder if they still have that black tip reef shark in that floor tank-hmm? I may drop by there again sometime.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been there ;-) last time i was there i had a bad experience. I would elaborate, but maybe they fixed the issue.
wonder if they still have that black tip reef shark in that floor tank-hmm? I may drop by there again sometime.

Seemed a little unkept last time I was there but I've had good luck with freshwater stuff from them in the past. That's why I like Bob's, all the tanks are crystal clear.

So today there is dirty foam reaching the top of the neck in the cup again. Very minimal dirty liquid in the cup. I'm very happy I have not had to adjust it at all and no overflowing issues even after turning off and back on.

Do you think any minor adjustments are needed to raise it up a tad?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seemed a little unkept last time I was there but I've had good luck with freshwater stuff from them in the past. That's why I like Bob's, all the tanks are crystal clear.

So today there is dirty foam reaching the top of the neck in the cup again. Very minimal dirty liquid in the cup. I'm very happy I have not had to adjust it at all and no overflowing issues even after turning off and back on.

Do you think any minor adjustments are needed to raise it up a tad?
may have to check out Bobs one day ;-)

for the next few days, just turn the gate valve closed 1/2 turn each day. no big adjustments.

report back with a video about an hour after your day two 1/2 turn adjustment. that should give us an idea of where you're at.

happy reefing!

Tivo

Vines_FLReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Bubble Magnus 5 running in my sump but haven't had any success in getting it to settle down in a week. I had to put a filter sock in for it to drain into. I don't like that but about my only choice. Looking for a recommendation on a good skimmer to support my 120 mixed reef.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Bubble Magnus 5 running in my sump but haven't had any success in getting it to settle down in a week. I had to put a filter sock in for it to drain into. I don't like that but about my only choice. Looking for a recommendation on a good skimmer to support my 120 mixed reef.
may not need a new skimmer. the BB Magus are not bad skimmers. their pumps have been the issue in the past. PT and rock pumps are awful.

what level are you running it at? I would suggest the lowest end of their recommended level and leave the gate valve for water exiting the skimmer wide open.

there are lots of skimmers that would fit the bill for a 120. First thing is budget though, then would you prefer internal pump or external pump, DC pump or AC pump. AC's have a longer track record, but DC pump skimmers are quieter in y experience. lots of variables ;-)

Vines_FLReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may not need a new skimmer. the BB Magus are not bad skimmers. their pumps have been the issue in the past. PT and rock pumps are awful.

what level are you running it at? I would suggest the lowest end of their recommended level and leave the gate valve for water exiting the skimmer wide open.

there are lots of skimmers that would fit the bill for a 120. First thing is budget though, then would you prefer internal pump or external pump, DC pump or AC pump. AC's have a longer track record, but DC pump skimmers are quieter in y experience. lots of variables ;-)
I have it set to 1 and in about 9.5 inches of water.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for the skimmer to be all out of balance again and overflowing after a water change? I turned it off for the water change and when I turned it back on it immediately over flowed? Been trying to get it back to normal functioning again now.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do we do here. Never had skim this bubbly. Started doing this after two weeks of dosing nopox.
This is 24hrs of skimmate.
I’m not able to drain these bubbles through the drain plug.
So at this rate, I will have to remove and clean the cup daily
Anyone have this issue with nopox? Did it let up after awhile?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 37

Vines_FLReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good. report back

what's the operating range on that skimmer? 8 to 10 inches?
I have read anywhere from 6 - 10 inches. I am about at 7 inches now and this is what I have today after emptying pretty watery slush yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_1196.jpg
    IMG_1196.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 35

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do we do here. Never had skim this bubbly. Started doing this after two weeks of dosing nopox.
This is 24hrs of skimmate.
I’m not able to drain these bubbles through the drain plug.
So at this rate, I will have to remove and clean the cup daily
Anyone have this issue with nopox? Did it let up after awhile?
Nopox will always do that. best solution i've found is to get a little tube of food grade silicone oil or grease and pull the lid off, then put a little dab on your finger tip and wipe it on the inside portion of the LID that deflects the foam downward (the pressed or glued ring). This will pop the bubbles before they cascade down the sides of the cup. only a little dab will do it.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano skimmer so already likely underperforming but I'm trying to get everything I can out of it. Lately I've started to wonder what works better, a dirty cup or a squeaky clean cup? Do the bubbles climb better when there is some film buildup? I always try to make sure it's bone dry when I replace it but I'm wondering if it's in my best interest to empty and clean it daily even if there isn't much in it or should I leave it alone until it's full?

I've really had too much time to stare at my tank today and should probably find something else to do lol.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano skimmer so already likely underperforming but I'm trying to get everything I can out of it. Lately I've started to wonder what works better, a dirty cup or a squeaky clean cup? Do the bubbles climb better when there is some film buildup? I always try to make sure it's bone dry when I replace it but I'm wondering if it's in my best interest to empty and clean it daily even if there isn't much in it or should I leave it alone until it's full?

I've really had too much time to stare at my tank today and should probably find something else to do lol.
how long does it take to gunk up?
i wouldn't be cleaning it every day. let it gunk up a bit! the foam will still push to the lid and downwards.

i get about just under 1/8th inch of crud on mine but that's for an entire week. i don't see a slowing of production until a a day or so before i clean things out. take a pic and show us what yours looks like after a day of running.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long does it take to gunk up?
i wouldn't be cleaning it every day. let it gunk up a bit! the foam will still push to the lid and downwards.

i get about just under 1/8th inch of crud on mine but that's for an entire week. i don't see a slowing of production until a a day or so before i clean things out. take a pic and show us what yours looks like after a day of running.

This was cleaned out yesterday. I rarely let it go more than a few days without cleaning it. As you can see by the color of the skimmate it's not doing as well as I'd like it to but it is removing something.

skimmer.jpg

Back