Skimmer quit working

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old Reef Dynamics skimmer which has worked well since I acquired it last year. It has a few adjustable parts, but the only one I have used is the air valve on the export side. Recently bubbles have stopped making it into the collector cup. When working best this skimmer needed to be emptied twice a week. I am including pictures. It will stop working when I am in the tank or feeding. Sometimes after its cleaned it takes a few days to get going. What has changed? The water might have gotten a little higher in the sump but I have not had a problem before. The salinity fell which I normally don't let happen. Maybe to 1.023. But I fixed it. I have started to vacuum the sand which I have not done since the tank was put up. That coincides with the slowing of the skim. Anyway it isn't skimming now. And it slowed a lot before it stopped. The chamber is still filled with bubbles. The pump is brand new. I tried to open the air all the way. Nothing changed. It has always worked best in the position in the picture. It has an adjustable tube that I never adjusted and don't know how to. Not sure why I am running it if it isn't skimming.
6332E7A7-70ED-44EA-B030-8F6A54CA806E.jpeg
BECC1D10-AC07-465A-AC43-DBF663DA2A70.jpeg
4CE3F663-41D7-485C-982D-933DE84474EB.jpeg
98B32F01-788F-458B-AAC6-9E53C15460DE.jpeg

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for limestone formation inside the air- water interface

1652450256082.png

Sincerely Lasse
I took it down. Wiped it out so I can see the bubbles again. Plugged it back in and the pump was loud. So I soaked it fortwo hours in 50% water 50% vinegar. I have it up and running. The soak cured the pump. The calcium probably came dislodged when I moved it and thats why it got loud. Hopefully this will bring the skim back. Usually it takes a few days for the slime to build and the skimmer to run after cleaning. It does seem like calcium was in the venturi.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many skimmers with this construction build up limestone in the venturi. One way to increase the time between cleaning is to let the skimmer stop for a minute or two every day. When it stop - water goes backward in the venturi and rinse a little

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many skimmers with this construction build up limestone in the venturi. One way to increase the time between cleaning is to let the skimmer stop for a minute or two every day. When it stop - water goes backward in the venturi and rinse a little

Sincerely Lasse
Took it out. Cleaned. Soaked pump in Vinegar and water for two hours. Maybe should habe done 3. Bubbles were up above the neck. But now are not. Sump water is high. Other than that everything is the same. Pump was brand new when installed 8 months ago. I know sometimes after cleaning it has to slime up again. It could be the water level is too high in the sump. But I am keeping it that way for the chaeto. Hopefully it will work again. But its been since Friday. Thanks.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that water conditions are not allowing a skim? I had three fish in there. One was a Grouper. So I was feeding more than I am not. I just have two Triggerfish in a 120. Is it possible that my two big power filters are keeping the tank too clean for the skimmer to work anymore?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back