Skimmer Redundancy?

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it beneficial or problematic to have more than one skimmer on the same system?

I am planning my 90-gallon reef that will have a linked mangrove tank to the side (likely 75-gallon) and a 75-gallon sump. I estimate actual water volume will be somewhere around 150-190 gallons. Would it be best for me to just plan on buying one skimmer capable of 150-190 gallons heavy bioload, or can I use my Reef Octopus 90HOB and one or two more similar or smaller skimmers to achieve total skimming needs? Fish are more interesting to me than the also-very-interesting corals, so I will likely always be dealing with a heavy bioload, therefore appreciating benefits of a good foam fractionator to skim excess nutrients.

My existing FOWLR (75-gallon) has a Reef Octopus 90HOB, and I may be able to get a free skimmer sized for 60-80 gallons that needs some repairs. I plan to incorporate the current FOWLR into the new system using the main display 90-gallon as a mixed reef tank, the side 75-gallon will be for mangroves and macroalgae and some fish (including not-reef-safe fish I would like) as well as possible small divisions for a frag tank, and the 75-gallon sump will have an incorporated refugium and macroalgae and/or chaeto for nitrate and phosphate export (in addition to the mangroves, of course). Most likely, water would flow from the 90-gallon overflow into the 75-gallon mangrove tank, then overflow into the sump where the skimmers will be located just after filter socks or a roller-mat filter.

Is it a crazy idea to utilize 2-3 skimmers together to total skimming needs for this entire system? Should I just make the investment into a skimmer for a larger system since I have potential plans for adding a sun-room to my house next summer and building a larger display tank that would increase total system volume significantly? Should I buy a skimmer sized for my current system and add extra skimmers if/when I do actually upgrade to a larger reef? Maybe something in my current design is not a good idea to begin with?

Input and advice is appreciated!
Thanks,
Soren

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would buy one appropriately sized skimmer and be done with it. Less power cords, less equipment that needs maintenance. One cup to clean is enough for me! However, if you are someone who tends to change your systems often, and there is a good chance you will separate these systems again- I can see how the decision may lean more towards an additional skimmer.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would buy one appropriately sized skimmer and be done with it. Less power cords, less equipment that needs maintenance. One cup to clean is enough for me! However, if you are someone who tends to change your systems often, and there is a good chance you will separate these systems again- I can see how the decision may lean more towards an additional skimmer.
...and the fact that I already have a Reef Octopus 90HOB and may get an additional skimmer for free makes me want to consider multiple skimmers.

Additionally, I may want a skimmer on the mangrove tank and the sump if it would provide better filtration for my purposes.

I am less concerned with maintenance and number of power cords than initial cost, but maybe this is silly and I should just make the up-front investment like you suggest.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about advice on linked systems in general? If I used a skimmer on each tank as though it were a different system but still linked the water flow, would this be a good or bad idea? The main function of including a mangrove tank is that I really like mangroves and they would help in nutrient export from the main display reef.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine to have them linked, just buy a skimmer rated for the combined volume. Buy a Deltec and don't look back.
Thanks for the advice, minus9. One of my considerations is to buy one skimmer rated for the combined volume, and I was not yet aware of Deltec skimmers.
However, my main question is whether I can use my existing RO 90HOB and possible free skimmer and/or other smaller skimmer(s) to make up the total skimming needs before I spend $500-$1000 on one total-system skimmer.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You certainly can add another skimmer, but that's just another piece of equipment to add. If gear hanging off your tank doesn't bother you, then go for it. But I would buy the right size skimmer and sell the other to offset the cost a little. But it's your system, so you may have budget limits, space limits, etc.... For me it's simple, right gear for the right job.
Take a step back and look at where you want your system to be, looks, animals, equipment, maintenance, etc. Do you need two of the same thing to do the job? K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You certainly can add another skimmer, but that's just another piece of equipment to add. If gear hanging off your tank doesn't bother you, then go for it. But I would buy the right size skimmer and sell the other to offset the cost a little. But it's your system, so you may have budget limits, space limits, etc.... For me it's simple, right gear for the right job.
Take a step back and look at where you want your system to be, looks, animals, equipment, maintenance, etc. Do you need two of the same thing to do the job? K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid.
Thanks for the advice.
Though I do not mind adding extra skimmers to be hidden in the sump cabinet, I do understand the maintenance considerations. I will probably start out with what I have and consider upgrading after I see how my current skimmer(s) do. The other reason I am holding back is that I may upgrade to a larger reef in the future and would rather not have to deal with buying a skimmer now that is not large enough for the upgrade and have to resell. I also do not want to buy a skimmer on a guess for the new system and end up with a skimmer too big for my current setup if I do not end up upgrading to a larger system.

I work as an engineer, so I am well aware of the K.I.S.S. method! :)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use multiple skimmers. I have plenty of sump room, which is key, and a pair of so-so or even average skimmers can outwork a single excellent one. A pair of good skimmers can crush a Deltec. For example, I have a EuroReef 8 inch skimmer with Sedra 5000 Pump AND a RO with a Sicce PSK on one tank that easily would outwork a $1000-2000 skimmer. ...saves me money and does a better job.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use multiple skimmers. I have plenty of sump room, which is key, and a pair of so-so or even average skimmers can outwork a single excellent one. A pair of good skimmers can crush a Deltec. For example, I have a EuroReef 8 inch skimmer with Sedra 5000 Pump AND a RO with a Sicce PSK on one tank that easily would outwork a $1000-2000 skimmer. ...saves me money and does a better job.
Thanks for sharing your experiences, jda! That is what I figured would be the case and is what I plan to do for now for sure since I already have the RO 90HOB and will be getting a free skimmer (that may need work) on 2020-11-23 after my co-worker gets back from vacation. He has a bunch of reef stuff that he wants to get rid of, and I have room in my basement to store free stuff that I might be able to use!
...and I should have plenty of sump space for as much equipment as I want without leaving it exposed on the display tank.

I like the DIY aspect of reefing, so I tend more towards cheaper (not cheap) equipment that I can make work. I have a mechanical engineering background, my older brother is a civil engineer, one younger brother is a chemical engineer with experience in welding and metal work, another younger brother is in his last year of school for electrical engineering and owns a 3D printer, and another younger brother just started into a degree in industrial and manufacturing engineering. When we put our heads together, we have it made for about anything! It also makes sense to me to spread out workload over a few pieces of the same equipment in case something fails rather than having one expensive piece (even though it may be less likely to fail). I already plan redundant heaters and return pumps (which are more critical and need failure prevention more than a skimmer).

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another tank with a RO with a sicce pump and a LifeReef that also crush the output of a single Deltec. The LifeReef is every bit the equal of a Deltec by it's self, but if only using a single skimmer, the Deltec probably outworks the RO by 15-20%.

I just buy high quality used stuff when it comes up. Don't sleep on Euro Reef or ASM skimmers when you see them pop up - they are workhorses if you have the room and you can even make them pretty much silent if you make some output plumbing mods (I don't care at all).

Ask me how I know about Deltec? I had two of them, but sold them all to really happy hobbyists when I got sick of not being able to get parts for them over the years... perhaps parts availability has gotten better. They were beasts when running with only Downdraft, Beckett or LifeReef matching them for output... and the other Red Dragon driven skimmers that have come and gone.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another tank with a RO with a sicce pump and a LifeReef that also crush the output of a single Deltec. The LifeReef is every bit the equal of a Deltec by it's self, but if only using a single skimmer, the Deltec probably outworks the RO by 15-20%.

I just buy high quality used stuff when it comes up. Don't sleep on Euro Reef or ASM skimmers when you see them pop up - they are workhorses if you have the room and you can even make them pretty much silent if you make some output plumbing mods (I don't care at all).

Ask me how I know about Deltec? I had two of them, but sold them all to really happy hobbyists when I got sick of not being able to get parts for them over the years... perhaps parts availability has gotten better. They were beasts when running with only Downdraft, Beckett or LifeReef matching them for output... and the other Red Dragon driven skimmers that have come and gone.
It is great to hear from experience with other brands of skimmers! I will keep these in mind if I need more skimmers in the future. It seems pretty clear to me at this point that I can plan to use more than one smaller skimmer certainly until I decide if/when I need a bigger single skimming unit. One of the primary reasons I want redundancy is for the oxygenation of the water that foam fractionators supply. If I only have one and it goes down while I am at work, I run the risk of adverse effects from low oxygen. I may add some pumps or bubblers in the sump as well solely for oxygenation, since I plan on a more fish-heavy reef.

Rick Strauss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Deltec parts supply is bad! Very bad!!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back