Skimmer size and refugium

Detroit_aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a waterbox 220 backordered. I plan to set up a refugium...what size skimmer should i be running? I am new to saltwater. I've decided to go with the reef octopus Regal series but idk if the 200INT is overkill if I plan to keep a refugium. Also, anyone with this tank know if that skimmer will fit in the sump with the refugium plate in it? Per the manufacturer I will have 1mm clearance with the 200 lol. Is the 150 going to be enough?

Last edited:

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reef Octopus Regal 150INT is only rated for 210g with a light bio-load, 100g with a high bio-load. I wouldn't look at something that is on the "minimal" size. The 200INT is rated around 250g with a medium bio-load...this would be more in the ball park for a 220g tank. Most prefer overkill for skimmers since you can always turn them off, if skimming too much...but you can't run them over 24hrs if they aren't skimming enough!! But, you are going to have to find a footprint that fits your current sump configuration....1mm doesn't give much room for error! You will need a bigger sized skimmer for that tank...you may have to reconfigure your sump once you get an idea of the skimmer footprint you need.

Have you looked into the Tunze skimmers? If not, definitely an option....easy to use, great engineering, very good price points for the size skimmers they have...also pretty good footprint sizes for their skimming abilities. I have the DOC 9410 and really like it...it's rated for up to 266g and I use it on around 100g total tank.

OP
OP
Detroit_aqua

Detroit_aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reef Octopus Regal 150INT is only rated for 210g with a light bio-load, 100g with a high bio-load. I wouldn't look at something that is on the "minimal" size. The 200INT is rated around 250g with a medium bio-load...this would be more in the ball park for a 220g tank. Most prefer overkill for skimmers since you can always turn them off, if skimming too much...but you can't run them over 24hrs if they aren't skimming enough!! But, you are going to have to find a footprint that fits your current sump configuration....1mm doesn't give much room for error! You will need a bigger sized skimmer for that tank...you may have to reconfigure your sump once you get an idea of the skimmer footprint you need.

Have you looked into the Tunze skimmers? If not, definitely an option....easy to use, great engineering, very good price points for the size skimmers they have...also pretty good footprint sizes for their skimming abilities. I have the DOC 9410 and really like it...it's rated for up to 266g and I use it on around 100g total tank.

So I did see the ratings, and obviously would rather have overkill as you said. However, I was under the impression that running a chaeto refugium assists in nutrient export enough that one could theoretically run a downsized skimmer without issue. I assume all of the brs ratings recommend based off of running only a skimmer for nutrient export no?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did see the ratings, and obviously would rather have overkill as you said. However, I was under the impression that running a chaeto refugium assists in nutrient export enough that one could theoretically run a downsized skimmer without issue. I assume all of the brs ratings recommend based off of running only a skimmer for nutrient export no?

Well, I would obtain the skimmer based upon using it for the sole purpose of export and not count on other export methods. Plus, refugiums and skimmers both export nutrients, but kind of different types of similar nutrients. Now I am really having to remember, lol...but it was more like refugiums pull directly nitrates/phosphates while skimmers pull more organics, not exactly nitrates/phosphates...more the building blocks of nutrients.

OP
OP
Detroit_aqua

Detroit_aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I would obtain the skimmer based upon using it for the sole purpose of export and not count on other export methods. Plus, refugiums and skimmers both export nutrients, but kind of different types of similar nutrients. Now I am really having to remember, lol...but it was more like refugiums pull directly nitrates/phosphates while skimmers pull more organics, not exactly nitrates/phosphates...more the building blocks of nutrients.
I went onto the waterbox facebook group and it turns out the 200int fits in the chamber wehile still allowing me to leave in the refugium plate. Problem solved :cool:. Thanks for the input man! I appreciate it, will definitely go with the 200

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went onto the waterbox facebook group and it turns out the 200int fits in the chamber wehile still allowing me to leave in the refugium plate. Problem solved :cool:. Thanks for the input man! I appreciate it, will definitely go with the 200
Perfect!! Good luck... and don't forget to start a build thread.

Back