Skimmer size with an auto fleece roller?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for recommendations for skimmer sizing with an auto fleece roller. I’m going to be setting up my 75 gal display with a trigger platinum 26 gal sump that includes an auto fleece roller. I just purchased a RO Elite 150sss skimmer that is rated for 75 gal at heavy load. I have been watching BRS videos suggesting that you should undersize with a fleece roller. I plan on stocking the tank well and going SPS dominant. Should I keep this skimmer with its 75 gal rating or should I drop down to something smaller due to the effectiveness of the fleece roller? I was thinking the Akula Ultra Reef UKS 160 which is rated for 56 gal heavy load. Any suggestions would be appreciated

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with undersizing, Infact I raised this question on my build thread a week ago,

They are so effective at removing debris that my NYOS 300 hardly produces anything and I only clean it every 4-8 weeks (yes I know!lol). Same in my S650 which has a fleece roller.

To answer your question if and when I need to replace the skimmer, it will be the next size down and half the price.

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run a pump-fed ClariSea SK5000 on a RSR 300 xl (65G display/15G sump). I didn’t want to permanently modify the sump, but pump feed nearly all water from the overflow through through the roller. It absolutely makes a huge difference, including to the load on the skimmer and has slowed chaeto growth. I also dose NoPox, but had already been doing that so I am convinced it is the roller reducing nutrients.

I have a Red Sea RSK300 and the only reason I haven’t gone back to a smaller DC controlled skimmer (I have already) is that I see a huge PH benefit to running the skimmer with outside air AND a CO2 scrubber that is also outside and serves the dual purpose of filtering any debris in the air from getting into my system.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say undersize or oversize is all relative. if you used filter socks before and changed them regularly then your current skimmer should still be fine.

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a bubble magus fleece roller with a max rating of 6000 litres per hour although my drain wouldn't be able to take that amount of flow. I have a jecod 9000 dcs return pump running on minimum power.

My display tank is 625 litres sorry I'm English and don't know about them gallons measurements and seems to be a bit of a pointless exercise when my pump skimmer and fleece roller are all rated litres per hour sorry getting off the point, my sump is 125 litres so I have around about 500 litres of water all in all minus rocks air in the sump etc etc.

My skimmer is rated 500 litres bubble magus curve 5 even though I was advised to get a model 6.

The fleece roller is a new addition to the sump and the skimmer has more than halved its production of skimate and I have had to remove the phos zorb from my sump as the hanna (low range) readings couldn't detect any phosphate in the water.

I have had to throw extra food in to compensate.

So in my humble opinion my conclusion is that I have fatter fish now and I echo the comments above smaller skimmer will be fine

Oh and ps yeah my sps are thriving to put your mind at rest with that

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back