Skimmer Stopped Producing After Feeding

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing this is due to oils in the food mucking with surface tension. Been over an hour and still hasn't recovered. Was working just fine prior.

I am wondering is there anything I can do to prevent it in the future, or get it going again faster?

I feed my tank 3x daily, so if this keeps happening the skimmer will useless most of the time.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing this is due to oils in the food mucking with surface tension. Been over an hour and still hasn't recovered. Was working just fine prior.

I am wondering is there anything I can do to prevent it in the future, or get it going again faster?

I feed my tank 3x daily, so if this keeps happening the skimmer will useless most of the time.
Turn it off while feeding. Turn it back on once food is gone/been filtered out. Honestly, even if it doesn't skim for 3-5 hours out of the day, the tank is going to be fine. Lots of people don't even run skimmers.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 57 55.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%
Back