Skimmer suggestions

kirkleigh84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back into the hobby after being out for 8 years. Need suggestions on skimmer for 120 sps dominant tank with heavy fish count. Lot of things have changed in 8 yrs... will be running led lights on this one and looking at the radions.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a suggestion that might be different than the ones that follow... consider an old school lifereef skimmer and avoid the high end DC pump craze.

I say this, because I nearly broke the bank with replacing pumps with one of the newer skimmers - the pumps were pricey and died every year. The idea of being "eco friendly" or saving money on power was a complete joke.... as I was buying pumps two at time to have a backup. The last straw came when the skimmer company quit making the proprietary pump - forcing me to consider buying a whole new setup.

The LR does what it says, it runs, the venturi does not clog, it makes consistent foam, and... it is very easy to setup and maintain... and... you can use the pump of your choice and plumbing parts from home depot to tweak your setup. Since I switched, the only time I think about skimmers is when I see a thread like yours.

Disclaimer: I use one of the very tall ones - not one of the in sump models. Good luck!!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am a big Reef Octopus fan! I have used these skimmers for over 10 years and currently have three RO skimmers running. Good luck with whatever you decide and welcome back!

#reefoctopus

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with Reef Octopus over 11 years ago in my original 46-gallon bowfront, and have had a Bubble Magus Curve 5 running in my 90-gallon tank for over 6 years. I have been pleased with both!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 9410 DC in my 120. The only skimmer I have ever had that needs no adjustment.
You dont even need to turn it off to clean the cup. Just lift off.
I can feed, work in the tank, blow off the rocks and it just keeps skimming.
Never overflows too as it has anti overflow built in.
This is about 3 days of skimming on my 120.
20200222_055048.jpg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick what you want to spend and narrow down the list by budget first.

For selection BRS has a lot of skimmers for every budget and all have been tested or used on their systems. They dont really have any “bad skimmers”.

With you narrowed down list read the reviews for each. Pick say three from the list that matches your budget and has reviews you feel comfortable with.
Then ask specifically for users of each skimmer to give a run down on it.

that would be my advice anyway.
I am happy with my eshopps x-160 but i picked because a store was going out of business and i got for 1/2 price lol.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the best stuff eight years ago is still some of the best stuff today. LifeReef skimmers are a prime example of this. Less has changed as it seems on the surface when it comes to actual performance.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back into the hobby after being out for 8 years. Need suggestions on skimmer for 120 sps dominant tank with heavy fish count. Lot of things have changed in 8 yrs... will be running led lights on this one and looking at the radions.

How much space do you have in the sump? Is noise a consideration? What features are important to you?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top of my list would be LifeReef for reasons mentioned followed closely by Reef Octopus. Set 'em, and forget 'em.

Last on my list would be the new Red Sea skimmers.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back