Skimmer Upgrade - Which two models?

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to upgrade from my Bubble Magus Curve 5, which is currently running in my Red Sea Reefer 350 system (Heavy Bioload). The two options I have are the following:

Reefer Skimmer - RSK-300​

Reef Octopus eSsence S-130 Protein Skimmer​

Which skimmer would you pick? Judging by the pump performance, it seems the Red Sea has a higher GPH turnover and about the same airflow. It's also newer, has a built in neck cleaner, larger body. I know the Reef Octopus skimmer has been around a long time and more of a "tried and true" workhorse for skimmers.

Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
RSK

UNLESS you have your heart set on reef octopus, look also at skims, bubble magnus and Aqua Maxx

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want to upgrade from the Curve 5? Just trying to understand the new needs.
I wouldn't mind a bit better performance from the curve 5. I was hoping that getting a slightly larger skimmer would improve filtration as I'm heavily stocked at the moment. I also cant go larger than 7.5" wide due to my sump redesign to support a large Fuge in the middle, so it really limits my options.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they had the curve 5 elite, does anyone know if the better sicce pump will fit in the regular curve 5? Could be a cheaper way to do an upgrade imo

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is this skimmer as well:

It's listed as 120g Heavy Bioload, which is much more than the RSK-300 or the Reef Octopus, yet the skimmer body is much smaller. Is the pump in the AquaMaxx really that much stronger?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the extra space i think that sump has I would probably do an external pump though like these two
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cones-rc-2-in-sump-protein-skimmer-aquamaxx.html

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The curve 5 seems to be doing a great job. Dark thick skim that I need to empty every 4-5 days. My goal was to just increase the amount/speed of skim the skimmer can produce.
That seems like it is doing its job well, what are nutrients looking like (nitrate phosphate levels)

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like it is doing its job well, what are nutrients looking like (nitrate phosphate levels)
Currently sitting at 5ppm nitrates and my phosphates are forever creeping up if I stop GFO. Currently they're at .25ppm. I'm removing my school of 5 Lyretail anthias to help with the bioload, but my immediate thought was to buy a more efficient skimmer.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea 5 lyretail anthias sounds like that was the problem lol, those need at least 120-150 gallon tank themselves, i have 1 in an 80 for a little over 2 years and that thing wont ever stop eating

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other livestock?
Minus the 5 lyretails, I have the following:

2x Ocellaris clownfish
1x Yellow Tang
1x Kole Yellow Eye Tang
1x Melanurus Wrasse
1x Flame Hawkfish
1x Starry Blenny

Clearly overstocked as you can tell, which is why I'm selling the 5 lyretails. They should be gone this week. Current feeding is a pinch of PE Pellets twice a day with an autofeeder and 1 block of Mysis or Spirulina (Alternate) in the evening. Should I leave the curve 5 as is, and see how the tank does after the fish removal? I'd hate to upgrade the skimmer and not see any positive results.

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are setting up a fuge save your $'s and keep your current skimmer. A properly run fuge will complement your current skimmer.
Oh I have a large fuge that I need to empty every 2 weeks of Chaeto. The problem is I don't see any results with Phosphates. It keeps my nitrates at 5ppm or less which is excellent, but Chaeto not really affecting phosphate seems to be the norm.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minus the 5 lyretails, I have the following:

2x Ocellaris clownfish
1x Yellow Tang
1x Kole Yellow Eye Tang
1x Melanurus Wrasse
1x Flame Hawkfish
1x Starry Blenny
Once the anthias are gone, i think your problem will be solved without spending any money on a new skimmer

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are setting up a fuge save your $'s and keep your current skimmer. A properly run fuge will complement your current skimmer.
That would be my recommendation as well. Also, by the time you've removed the Anthias and setup the fuge, the RedSea skimmers should have the Sicce DC pump version released - which will give you much more latitude in dialing-in your skimmate production.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I have a large fuge that I need to empty every 2 weeks of Chaeto. The problem is I don't see any results with Phosphates. It keeps my nitrates at 5ppm or less which is excellent, but Chaeto not really affecting phosphate seems to be the norm.
Interesting! My skimmer does not do much for po4. It does keep no3 at<5. I upgraded from a small Tunze 9410dc to a Tunze 9430dc and nitrates went from 20 to <5 with no other changes.
My po4 will go to 0.3-0.4 if I do not use po4 reducers. A month ago I setup a remote 30g fuge with 3" sandbed. I have a small ball of cheato and 4 bunches of red macro.
I normaly need to change my po4 reducing media every 4 days to keep po4 below 0.1.
I have not replaced the media in 2 weeks and po4 levels are at 0.05.
The red macro is growing faster than I imagined it would.
My 120 has 15 fish and I feed 8-10 cubes a day.

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! My skimmer does not do much for po4. It does keep no3 at<5. I upgraded from a small Tunze 9410dc to a Tunze 9430dc and nitrates went from 20 to <5 with no other changes.
My po4 will go to 0.3-0.4 if I do not use po4 reducers. A month ago I setup a remote 30g fuge with 3" sandbed. I have a small ball of cheato and 4 bunches of red macro.
I normaly need to change my po4 reducing media every 4 days to keep po4 below 0.1.
I have not replaced the media in 2 weeks and po4 levels are at 0.05.
The red macro is growing faster than I imagined it would.
My 120 has 15 fish and I feed 8-10 cubes a day.
Hmm, What red macro algae do you use? Also, I don't have a sandbed in my fuge. Do you think that has a large impact in phosphate reduction? I would immediately assume the sandbed would just be another detritus trap.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back