Skimmer won't turn back on

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1stNoel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

1stNoel

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
687
Reaction score
734
Location
UCF. Go Knights!!!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Vertex Protein Skimmer plugged into an American DJ power strip. I flipped the switch off to open my CO2 Scrubber (which is fed air from the skimmer) and replace the media.

Once done, I flipped the switch back on...but the skimmer stays off. The pump isn't even humming, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Everything else on the power strip is working, and plugging it into another open outlet didn't resolve it. Vertex troubleshooting mentioned "calcified pump" as a potential cause, but I disassembled and thoroughly cleaned the skimmer about a month ago and didn't notice any of that.

Any suggestions?
 
Last edited:
What kind of skimmer? Some skimmers will stall when power cycled. They often need help to restart, which could mean blowing onto the air hose that’s attached to the volute on the pump or giving the skimmer a good shake to try and get the impeller spinning again. I’ve read many accounts of NYOS skimmers often having this issue.
 
Check k your impeller also. Sometime they just need a quick cleaning.
 
Thanks. I will pull out the skimmer and try your suggestions tomorrow.

It's a Vertex Omega 180 skimmer.
 
A good rinse with vinegar usually did the trick for me. Depending on how long you've had it running, if the shaft is warped, it is cheaper the replace the shaft then buy a new pump.
 
while its plugged in, give the impellor a couple flicks with your finger. Sometimes you can "flick" them into gear and they start going again and also run it in some vinegar might help if its seized up make sure you rinse it out before you put it back in the water.
 
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Couldn't wait, so I took it apart and found the culprit.

I was syphoning out detritus today into a filter sock in the sump. Apparently a rubber band (I attach nori to tiles with them) sucked through the tube and into the filter sock, then floated out over the sock and into the skimmer pump.

Skimmer is back online and working properly.

Thanks for the replies!
 
Wow lol, Awesome.. glad its back on haha
 
Fantastic! Crisis adverted.
 
What kind of skimmer? Some skimmers will stall when power cycled. They often need help to restart, which could mean blowing onto the air hose that’s attached to the volute on the pump or giving the skimmer a good shake to try and get the impeller spinning again. I’ve read many accounts of NYOS skimmers often having this issue.
This would happen to my SRO3000INT occasionally. A quick blow into the Venturi tube and would fire right up. Drove me nuts though. Could never figure out why. Been running the Tunze 9430 for the last year with zero issues.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new