Skimmers, RO Elite vs NYOS

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, I beg you, let's keep this to the two skimmers listed. I don't need to know another skimmer for consideration... please [emoji4]
The two I've narrowed down to for my 130g total system with medium load. I am buying with plans for eventual upgrade. I understand these are overkill for my current system. I'm a believer in overdoing things and buying once.
I'm looking at the NYOS 160 and the Reef Octopus Elite 200. I'd love to know your thoughts and/or experiences with these specific models.

Much Thanks!!
Nate
5d096296685699c426d3262a3dd2fa70.jpg
d93a895806c69ff81411ae33180b2797.jpg

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am sure both would do the job. IMO I would go with the Elite. The biggest point for me is the fact the pump is outside of the body, so it has a larger volume of water which means more contact time and they tend to be less turbulent. The DC pump is a nice touch also as you can slow it down or pause it for feeding if you choose to. The Elite looks to be simple and straightforward. The Elite is modeled after the Vertex ( I have read that RO had the design/shape of the body before Vertex but had to delay the release due to the new pumps were not ready at that time and Vertex beat them to the release ) and it is well known for its performance. Bottom line pumps inside skimmers where a design of need not as a better performer. The demand for smaller compact skimmers has grown as the increase in Nano and smaller Reef Tanks have become so popular. My two points for going with the Elite. 1. Larger Volume of water and air mixing in the Body of the skimmer. 2. Much easier to get at pump if you need to clean or snail finds its way in, which tends to happen more than one thinks. In the end it is your decision and I hope this may help you. Good Luck!

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am sure both would do the job. IMO I would go with the Elite. The biggest point for me is the fact the pump is outside of the body, so it has a larger volume of water which means more contact time and they tend to be less turbulent. The DC pump is a nice touch also as you can slow it down or pause it for feeding if you choose to...

Wow! That was a very clear, concise, well put together response!! I really appreciate it!

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... despite myself, I went with a smaller skimmer of a different brand. EliteAquatics had an open-box Vertex 180 for $399. Had to take it.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cancelled the order. After sleeping on it I realized saving money on a smaller skimmer isn't saving money if I'll still eventually need another skimmer :) sleep is good for decisions

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am sure both would do the job. IMO I would go with the Elite. The biggest point for me is the fact the pump is outside of the body, so it has a larger volume of water which means more contact time and they tend to be less turbulent. The DC pump is a nice touch also as you can slow it down or pause it for feeding if you choose to. The Elite looks to be simple and straightforward. The Elite is modeled after the Vertex ( I have read that RO had the design/shape of the body before Vertex but had to delay the release due to the new pumps were not ready at that time and Vertex beat them to the release ) and it is well known for its performance. Bottom line pumps inside skimmers where a design of need not as a better performer. The demand for smaller compact skimmers has grown as the increase in Nano and smaller Reef Tanks have become so popular. My two points for going with the Elite. 1. Larger Volume of water and air mixing in the Body of the skimmer. 2. Much easier to get at pump if you need to clean or snail finds its way in, which tends to happen more than one thinks. In the end it is your decision and I hope this may help you. Good Luck!

Agree with all that. Plus the vario pump is controllable. This can be handy. I have a skimmate locker (avast davey jones) with two switch inputs (I added a second horizontal float to go with the pressure switch it comes with.) I have my skimmer pump running at 100% power. I also normally get to dumping the skimmate bucket well before it fills up. But if for some reason the skimmer goes nutso and turns to volcano it will fill the bucket up. If this happens and hits the float switch my Apex will alert me and reduce the speed of the pump to 75% which allows hopefully the skimmer to keep producing but not be a volcano. Even if the skimmer stops producing skimmate it will at least keep aerating my water which is helping my pH. If for some reason it's still going and hit's the pressure switch then the skimmer pump is shutdown all together.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone's following, after a great deal of thought, consideration, watching YouTube videos, reading reviews, and a tiny bit of consideration as to my specific requirements, I've ordered the NYOS 160.
I'm fairly certain we all agree that the Elite is the superior skimmer. Unfortunately, a $100 is real money in my world. I figure that if the less expensive skimmer can meet my needs then terrific. If I receive it and I'm not truly thrilled by it, then I'll spend the extra hundred and exchange it. I've read mostly good things about it and the space saving of the pump in the cone matters as my current space is limited. The Elite would fit, but leave less space for the carbon reactor I also need to order. Reefing is a seriously never ending expenditure.

Supurderek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! Didn't like the nyos, myself. Ran it for a month and had to fiddle with it for a while to get good skim mate. On the other hand, the elite that replaced it made it really easy to dial in.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had it for over a week now and was able to dial it easily. All systems are different and I'm relieved I got away with the less expensive skimmer.
96b24b4a1aaf2c5e80ec64a151a832f6.jpg
644af74e741c14b0e359ff147a8f3b87.jpg

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both skimmers are nice. I would agree with both writeups as they were on point. Biggest thing with me is the dc pump. If you ever get an issue with a chemical or overflowing due to this or that, you simply turn down the dc pump and drain the water out the collection cup until it stops. I'm sure the nyos will work great for a 130g. Good move on the vertex.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both skimmers are nice. I would agree with both writeups as they were on point. Biggest thing with me is the dc pump. If you ever get an issue with a chemical or overflowing due to this or that, you simply turn down the dc pump and drain the water out the collection cup until it stops. I'm sure the nyos will work great for a 130g. Good move on the vertex.

Yeah I was tempted by that pump. I run a Vectra for my return pump and LOVE it! I never have much thought to a return pump, but being able to control all aspects of the tank is a serious luxury that I really like.

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 2 was looking at both had the nyos didn't like it got the elite and never looked back the elite is also apex ready and has a built in float valve shut off that saved me a few times when I was not home and after having it on my tank running it at full throttle it actually stripped my tank 2 much and now I run it at 2 believe it or not to keep nutrients in the water and the feed mode is really handy 2. I actually chose it over the vertex because of the pump and not wanting the metal bolts in the tank like the vertex is

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys who got the NYOS and didn't like it... you can't just return it because you didn't like it... can you?

Royalgipsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we are different and have different setups.. Have patience with my english, I'm norwegian. My Nyos 160 had not even so much as a routine clean in 2 years and its the most reliable and stable skimmer I ever owned. Creates the really black goo you want.. I had one issue at startup, that it skimmed a bit too good so the foam came out thru the ventholes in the top because it didnt break down to liquid fast enough. That had the easiest solution, if you have som exeprience tho.. a drop of oil on the finger or a litle amount of vaseline to smear very thinly the underside bowl of the lid not the lid it itself, and at least the top half inside of the reservoir cup, but not the inside of the foam raising tube in the midle, that will destroy the skimming in every way since the foam turns to liquid very very fast in contact with fat. And after starting using that methd every time I cleaned out my skimmer cup and using a separate bottle brush for inside the tube part to not get any fat inside it by chanche, I had it running now ever since.. I will stress, I havent even pulled it apart for cleaning pumphouse needle wheel and venturi.. There is no need to touch it when it just works right?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give my experience, I know the OP has decided and I agree with their choice, I have 120 tank with 4 large fish, I put my RO Regal 200 on it, it would skim 1 finger thick per week, I thought because I have a large load I would get more, NOPE, finally I pulled it, I bought for my new in the garage 225-gallon tank.

I put back my Simplicity 240 skimmer, in the first day I was dumping the skimmer every 8 or 9 hours so three times a day, Now I am dumping it every 24 hours. The correct RO skimmer is the 150 model.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back