Skimmers, What are you really paying for?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I was just kinda cruising around BRS and noticed the such wide price ranges of Skimmers and it made me think...what are you truly paying for? I personally have only ever used Simplicity and had fairly good luck with them. Their customer service is amazing and the quality seems the same. Is there really a difference in spending, lets say $300 on a Simplicity vs $500 on a Octopus or Red Sea?

Last edited:

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main thing is the quality of the pump. Secondly would be things like warranty support, distribution, etc.

I would say things like chamber volume, air ratio etc as well but it's not too hard for anyone to figure that stuff out.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main thing is the quality of the pump. Secondly would be things like warranty support, distribution, etc.

I would say things like chamber volume, air ratio etc as well but it's not too hard for anyone to figure that stuff out.
Agree, quality pump and warrenty.
I run Tunze. They are not fancy but are simple and just plain work.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above. The pump is everything and noise reduction. The shape and size has become pretty standard now days.

ecamden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I was just kinda cruising around BRS and noticed the such wide price ranges of Skimmers and it made me think...what are you truly paying for? I personally have only ever used Simplicity and had fairly good luck with them. Their customer service is amazing and the quality seems the same. Is there really a difference in spending, lets say $300 on a Simplicity vs $500 on a Octopus or Red Sea?
I switched out my reef octopus for a simplicity and haven't been happier! It was pulling skimmate day 1

bitwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS does comparison videos which I think they release annually or so. IIRC Red Sea and the Reef Octopus Elite were at the top of one of the recent videos.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you pay more for a name ;)

I usually just buy whatever is on the local forums for sale (used)... my current one is a reef octopus. Used equipment never seems to give me any problems (heaters I buy new).

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back