Skinning a metal stand

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0762FCE3-C128-4467-9E54-DEE4546A354E.jpeg

Currently my 40 breeder is sitting on the metal stand that I bought with it from Petco, I’m wanting to “skin” it and add doors to the front and possibly cabinets to the sides, has anyone already done something similar? I’d love any advice that anyone might have, wanting to dress everything up so it looks nice and clean.

colossal_tater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same setup! Here's what I ended up doing.

IMG_1336.jpg

I cut pieces of thick plywood for the sides and stained it grey. I screwed it into the metal from the inside. It's really easy to drill pilot holes into the metal of this stand. I used thick plywood for the sides because I wanted to attach things easily like my Apex controller.

For the front, I used a thin piece of plywood and cut it a hair smaller than the actual space and stained it matching grey. I then made some framing and attached the plywood to it with a bunch of tiny finishing nails. I made the frame so I could put velcro on it and the stand to easily attach it. There was probably a better way to do all this, but I'm proud of the outcome and so far it works great!

IMG_1337.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back