Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Discussion in 'General Invert Forum' started by Whisperss, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Whisperss

Whisperss Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Anyone else find the Skunk Cleaner Shrimp fascinating? We have two in our 75 gallon tank and any time I am doing maintenance on our reef, they must come and find anything on my hands. When the night light comes on, they are all over the reef. I have missed their spawn by seconds but one day I will capture it on video! 20190221_154914.jpg

Steve Elb, mattzang and ndrwater like this.

2. ndrwater

ndrwater Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

They are really cool. Great photo too!!

Whisperss likes this.
  3. Whisperss

Whisperss Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Thank you! One day I found one, relaxing under the tree

ndrwater likes this.
  4. AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish Valuable Member Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

They are really cool. Does anyone have an idea of how long they live? I recently lost one of mine I've had for about 18 months...may have been a bad molt.

Whisperss likes this.
  5. ndrwater

ndrwater Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I've had them live for over 5 years.

6. AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish Valuable Member Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Mine might have died from obesity :( .lol

ndrwater likes this.
  7. mattzang

mattzang Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

i love the skunk's personality. i went with both a skunk and a fire shrimp this last time and while the fire shrimp is pretty, he's so cryptic. the skunk however.. he don't care about nothing!

Whisperss and ndrwater like this.
  8. Steve Elb

Steve Elb Member

I have 2...Rocco and Luigi....tank gangsters

Whisperss likes this.
  9. Whisperss

Totally! Ours are awesome to watch, and post up their own cleaning stations. Our Yellow Tang does not like to have us watch when the Skunk cleaner is doing its job.

mattzang likes this.
  10. Whisperss

Nice!!!

11. AllSignsPointToFish

I found my other cleaner shrimp dead this afternoon :(. I've had them for about 18 months. I don't know if it was old age or a fish attack :/

12. 16Reefer170

16Reefer170 Member

How do you acclimate them? I brought one home from the LFS a few weeks ago, but it did not make it to the 1 week mark.

13. Billldg

Billldg Going off the reef end R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Very slowly, I drip them at about 3 drips per second, takes a couple of hours, but worth it.

I had one and loved it, but one day is just vanished, so I ended up buying 2 more and they are very cool also. At night they actually go to the tangs that are sleeping and clean them while they sleep. Talk about being spoiled, LOL!!!

The funniest thing was, one day when I was feeding my frags I felt something jump onto my arm and I was like, WHAT THE HECK, then I realized it was the cleaner shrimp on my arm cleaning the dead skin, felt very weird, LOL!!!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    mattzang likes this.
  14. 00Barracuda00

00Barracuda00 Active Member

Just added 3 shrimp a few days ago (2 skunks 1 blood). I'm incredibly new at this so take it with a grain of salt:

My LFS has nearly identical salinity to my DT, so I floated them for 10 minutes to temp acclimate then put all 3 of them in a 5gal bucket. I allowed the water to mix because they were all pulled from the same tank at the store.
    Then I put a really slow drip for 45 minutes from the DT into the bucket.

So far so good, all 3 are eating like pigs.

I've read here on the forums though that any major changes in temp/salinity need to be acclimated way longer/slower for inverts.

Draft saved Draft deleted