Skunks with orchid dottybacks?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two orange skunks with a striped blenny in a 40g cube. All are pals and swim together (although the two clowns think that my one rock, covered with GHA, is ready to "host" them, and they spend their time attempting to build a mucus coat with the fronds, while ignoring the BTA I got for them...sigh). I have two lovely orchid dottybacks about to come out of quarantine: am I risking territorial fights by putting them all in the same tank, or should I save the dottybacks for my RSM250 (fully ready, and empty of anything but live rock and two hermits)? I had planned to get a dwarf angel for the RSM, but don't have one at this point.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say it depends on how much rock you have in the 40g because you are unlikely to run into long term problems if the dotties have enough rock to move through. I say long term as clowns can often (sometimes they just completely ignore new fish) chase and be annoying to new fish for a week or two but long term it should settle down, this is where having enough retreats for the dotties will benefit.

The 250 would be a good choice as well and a dwarf angel in the future shouldn't pose any problems either.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 48 73.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back