Sleeper gold head Goby

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone can tell me about their experience with a sleeper gold head goby. I am looking to put one in my 32 gal bio cube. Thanks!

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone can tell me about their experience with a sleeper gold head goby. I am looking to put one in my 32 gal bio cube. Thanks!
I work at my LFS, they are really common but pretty cool. I think one would work in your 32 gallon, as long as there aren't too many other bottom dwelling fish, otherwise there might be some aggression. Most will eat frozen food but occasionally there's one that will only eat whatever bugs it finds in the sand, so make sure there's a good sized sand bed for it to sift through.

OP
OP
Codeblack88

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at my LFS, they are really common but pretty cool. I think one would work in your 32 gallon, as long as there aren't too many other bottom dwelling fish, otherwise there might be some aggression. Most will eat frozen food but occasionally there's one that will only eat whatever bugs it finds in the sand, so make sure there's a good sized sand bed for it to sift through.
okay... both the trigger and gramma sleep in the rocks but there is ample space for him to make a little room for himself. Is there any way to tell the amount of pods i have in my sand bed? I have never added any copepods (or anything like such into the tank.

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay... both the trigger and gramma sleep in the rocks but there is ample space for him to make a little room for himself. Is there any way to tell the amount of pods i have in my sand bed? I have never added any copepods (or anything like such into the tank.
could you tell me what fish you have? A trigger in a 32 gallon is a big no no unless its a juvenile and its in there very briefly

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could you tell me what fish you have? A trigger in a 32 gallon is a big no no unless its a juvenile and its in there very briefly
I wouldnt be too worried about your pod population, 99% of the sleeper gobies will eat frozen food

OP
OP
Codeblack88

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
niger trigger, bicolor gramma, two clowns and an arceye hawkfish. The trigger is very young and still is only 2-2.5 inches big. Ive had him for roughly 6 months and am expecting to have to rehome him in a few months

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, make sure you rehomed him soon otherwise it might stunt his growth, also an arc eye Hawkfish gets pretty big too, and its mostly a bottom dweller, which means it's likely to fight with the sleeper goby. I actually would trade in the arc eye for a smaller Hawkfish species before adding the sleeper goby, try a flame or pixy hawk instead.

OP
OP
Codeblack88

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, make sure you rehomed him soon otherwise it might stunt his growth, also an arc eye Hawkfish gets pretty big too, and its mostly a bottom dweller, which means it's likely to fight with the sleeper goby. I actually would trade in the arc eye for a smaller Hawkfish species before adding the sleeper goby, try a flame or pixy hawk instead.
Will do about. the trigger... do you have any suggestions on how to find a new home for him? also the hawkeye stays on top of my live rock (at the highest point or on the powerheads not really on the bottom so im not too worried about him. My biggest concern was the goby not eating and starving.

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The particular one I got liked to take mouthfulls of sand, swim up higher, and drop the sand all over corals. The kids named him Mister Sprinkles. Eventually it got so bad I had to banish him to the sump.

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do about. the trigger... do you have any suggestions on how to find a new home for him? also the hawkeye stays on top of my live rock (at the highest point or on the powerheads not really on the bottom so im not too worried about him. My biggest concern was the goby not eating and starving.
For the trigger, you could trade him in to most local fish stores for credit. Not every store will do this, but most will. Also I'd still consider switching to a smaller hawkfish as the arc eyes are better in a 50+ gallon tank IMO. You should be fine feeding the sleeper goby.

DipG

Dream Build Complete
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my DT and it will not eat any frozen or dry food. It only eats what is gets by sifting the sand. Luckily my DT is 500G and has plenty of sand but I can see this fish starving in a small tank like yours. So please make sure that the fish eats frozen food before you buy the fish else you will be starving it to death since 32G doesn't have enough sand for this fish to thrive. Also this fish gets big, mine is about 4-5" long.

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and he made a nice den under one of my live rocks. Stays there most of the day until it’s feeding time. Keeps the sand bed clean with the help of my cuc. Definitely would want to have a cover as they’re known to make a grand exit

27C76AB7-C0C5-460A-B1B5-561AA38789CF.jpeg

OP
OP
Codeblack88

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the trigger, you could trade him in to most local fish stores for credit. Not every store will do this, but most will. Also I'd still consider switching to a smaller hawkfish as the arc eyes are better in a 50+ gallon tank IMO. You should be fine feeding the sleeper goby.
Okay thank you for all your help

OP
OP
Codeblack88

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my DT and it will not eat any frozen or dry food. It only eats what is gets by sifting the sand. Luckily my DT is 500G and has plenty of sand but I can see this fish starving in a small tank like yours. So please make sure that the fish eats frozen food before you buy the fish else you will be starving it to death since 32G doesn't have enough sand for this fish to thrive. Also this fish gets big, mine is about 4-5" long.
Ok thank you

OP
OP
Codeblack88

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and he made a nice den under one of my live rocks. Stays there most of the day until it’s feeding time. Keeps the sand bed clean with the help of my cuc. Definitely would want to have a cover as they’re known to make a grand exit

27C76AB7-C0C5-460A-B1B5-561AA38789CF.jpeg
Wow Looks gorgeous

MPrz59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be a little late but I have a Sleeper Banded Goby and they have big personalities. One thing though is they are sand sifters and get sand every where including rocks and corals.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back