Slight crack found on the fish tank Need help!

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 55 gallon reef tank, as well as a 20 gallon sump. i recently found a crack on the front of the tank but at the base and not on the glass. but i also found some salt that was dried up on it. Do you guys think this is a problem, i really don't know what steps to take.

unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (1).jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a new crack? The plastic frame isn’t as critical as the glass, but if that crack just happened I would wonder what is next?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that the base cracked because of expansion of salt creep caused by a leak. Is the salt creep new? Is it possible that water that has run down the tank from maintenance, etc... has just found that crack to settle?
If it's a leak, it's evidently a slow leak, or you would be seeing water instead of salt.

It looks like a lot of salt, so I would guess LEAK! I would put together a plan right away to replace the tank, or at least re-home everything until you can come up with a plan. Chances are it will only get worse. Possibly very quickly. Sorry.

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that the base cracked because of expansion of salt creep caused by a leak. Is the salt creep new? Is it possible that water that has run down the tank from maintenance, etc... has just found that crack to settle?
If it's a leak, it's evidently a slow leak, or you would be seeing water instead of salt.

It looks like a lot of salt, so I would guess LEAK! I would put together a plan right away to replace the tank, or at least re-home everything until you can come up with a plan. Chances are it will only get worse. Possibly very quickly. Sorry.

the crack is brand new, i did maintenance on the tank but the salt is definitely coming from the crack, i checked this morning and it had formed again. i guess its time to get rid of the tank, not much i can do at this point.

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a new crack? The plastic frame isn’t as critical as the glass, but if that crack just happened I would wonder what is next?

yeah i feel like if that cracked randomly the glass could crack next, so its time to get rid of it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its cosmetic, NOT structural. Do super glue it to keep it clean looking.
Tank is safe

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its cosmetic, NOT structural. Do super glue it to keep it clean looking.
Tank is safe
i respectfully disagree, solely based on the presence of salt.
@OP, you wiped up the salt and it came back? there is no evidence of a salt trail down the front of the tank?
I think there's a weep hole in the silicone, and the drying salt caused the crack to form. i would replace the tank ASAP.

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, it’s about how much you are willing to spend for peace of mind. There are so many perspectives on this.. example, my tank was not level for the first few months and it literally drove me absolutely insane. The amount of anxiety that it caused me was too much to handle. I had to use shims to level it up and make it a temporary fix until I figure out the long term solution.

it would bother me, not sure about you. Anything and everything that is within my control I try to keep within my control.
Good luck my friend. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Brian

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, it’s about how much you are willing to spend for peace of mind. There are so many perspectives on this.. example, my tank was not level for the first few months and it literally drove me absolutely insane. The amount of anxiety that it caused me was too much to handle. I had to use shims to level it up and make it a temporary fix until I figure out the long term solution.

it would bother me, not sure about you. Anything and everything that is within my control I try to keep within my control.
Good luck my friend. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Brian

i mean it bothers me to the extent that is may lead to bigger cracks and possibly bursting, im going to try some things out before i scrap it, thank you!

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i respectfully disagree, solely based on the presence of salt.
@OP, you wiped up the salt and it came back? there is no evidence of a salt trail down the front of the tank?
I think there's a weep hole in the silicone, and the drying salt caused the crack to form. i would replace the tank ASAP.

yeah i cleaned everything off last night and when i came down this morning to check on it, more salt had formed, im currently looking into getting a replacement tank but as of right now, there isnt much i can do to help it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i will try that since id love to keep it but what would explain the constant salt formations coming from the crack
All condensation runs down the tank and pools within that trim thereby forming salt creep

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 48 44.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back