Slight crack found on the fish tank Need help!

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All condensation runs down the tank and pools within that trim thereby forming salt creep
If I don't spill water I don't have salt creep on the bottom rim. And that's a ton of salt creep, all in one space, next to a new crack in the trim.. ?? I would assume it's failing and give that tank to a reptile person imo.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i respectfully disagree, solely based on the presence of salt.
@OP, you wiped up the salt and it came back? there is no evidence of a salt trail down the front of the tank?
I think there's a weep hole in the silicone, and the drying salt caused the crack to form. i would replace the tank ASAP.
I sold these tanks at my store over a decade and personally knew the owners of all glass aquarium who allowed me to see the assembly and the top is more supportive mainly for glass inserts. The bottom is trim that is spot silicone to the tank. There is run over or seepage causing salt creep, but if it were a leak, there would be pooling of water with a 72 hr period and would be continuous.
If there are hang on the back components, this would be the likely source of the seepage.

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Find a cheap tank and move everything ASAP. Cracks have a bad habit of unexpectedly and catastrophically getting big. Even if it's just a leak under the silicone it's going to get worse, not better. Replacing a tank is a lot cheaper and easier than losing one.
2) Once you're safe start working on your new display tank.
3) Enjoy your new bowfront terrarium.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold these tanks at my store over a decade and personally knew the owners of all glass aquarium who allowed me to see the assembly and the top is more supportive mainly for glass inserts. The bottom is trim that is spot silicone to the tank. There is run over or seepage causing salt creep, but if it were a leak, there would be pooling of water with a 72 hr period and would be continuous.
If there are hang on the back components, this would be the likely source of the seepage.
I have had a side seam of a tank start to seep such a small amount only salt creep formed so there wouldn't necessarily be water pooling. I don't see how run over seepage can get from the back of the tank to the front. It sure doesn't on my growout tank that has HOB stuff.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure it’s a crack and not the injection mould line?

Last edited:

Brad ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the crack looks cosmetic but the salt creep (especially at the bottom) is slightly
worrisome
if you like the tank just temp relocate stuff and reglaze

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible it is coming through the seam, like said before. If you are able to empty the tank, look inside or remove some of the black trim and see if it is crack or coming through the seam. If the latter you might be able to reseal it.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back