Slime in RO storage barrels

  • Thread starter Thread starter 56longroof
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

56longroof

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 23, 2023
Messages
3,117
Reaction score
6,436
Location
Durham Missouri USA
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did a search but came up with nothing. I'm getting a clear slime in my RO storage barrels. I haven't noticed any ill effects in my blackwater tank but is there a concern for a reef aquarium?
 
I did a search but came up with nothing. I'm getting a clear slime in my RO storage barrels. I haven't noticed any ill effects in my blackwater tank but is there a concern for a reef aquarium?
Sounds like some kind of bacteria. Probably not harmful, but it does tell me that your RO water is probably not as pure as you think it is because bacteria needs nutrients to grow. Have you measured your TDS from the RODI?
 
TDS is always 2 or less. I've tested it with 2 different probes with the exact results. The curious thing about it is I keep one tank heated for larger water changes. The heated one has it and the room temperature one is clear. I pulled the heater to see if it goes away.
 
TDS is always 2 or less. I've tested it with 2 different probes with the exact results. The curious thing about it is I keep one tank heated for larger water changes. The heated one has it and the room temperature one is clear. I pulled the heater to see if it goes away.
Depending upon what’s in that 2 ppm, it could be enough to support bacteria. The heat thing would reinforce the idea that it is bacterial. I like your idea of turning the heater off, but if there was enough bacteria and you just kill it by chilling it to death, all the dead bacteria will decompose and generate ammonia. I like what @thatmanMIKEson suggested with bleach and rinsing.
 
TDS is always 2 or less. I've tested it with 2 different probes with the exact results. The curious thing about it is I keep one tank heated for larger water changes. The heated one has it and the room temperature one is clear. I pulled the heater to see if it goes away.
When is the last time you changed your RO membrane and other filters on the RODI? If I had TDS of 2 coming out of my RODI I would replace enough to get it down to zero.
 
When is the last time you changed your RO membrane and other filters on the RODI? If I had TDS of 2 coming out of my RODI I would replace enough to get it down to zero.
It's been close to a year. I'm planning on changing all of the filters and DI resin soon. But this is not a new issue. It's been going on for a long while. I've only been using the RO on my freshwater tanks to date. My saltwater tank build is nearing completion and I just wanted to be sure it's not a huge issue.
 
Are you circulating the water? Stagnant water grows bacteria, not so much if it is moving.
I am not. I used to keep a air stone in them but it still did it. I do have a couple small powerheads I can drop in there. I'll definitely give that a shot.
 
I'd suspect that anything that leaches from the plastic bin could contribute.

RO water is very biologically unstable, and grows bacteria more than you might think. For drinking purposes, it is recommended to be UV sterilized before use because of this. I used to maintain a commercial RO system in a business, and some of the equipment fed from it grew some odd pink cyano-looking biofilms.

I store my RO and premixed WC water (for both my FW and SW systems) in glass aquariums, and have no obvious bacteria issues (I'm sure they're growing stuff, but I do not notice it).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new