Slug/snail on new clam

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just acclimated a new clam to my tank. I sat it on the sand bed and left the room to eat something. I came back say down and stared at it. It's a 6+ inch squamosa clam. While looking I noticed a little something moving. It looked just like my nassarious snails but without its shell. I then saw another one. I only see two of these little things on the clam. The lights aren't on so I can't get a picture of them.

Without a picture does anyone have an idea of what this is? They are slow moving and look like a brown booger. They are the size of a nassarious snail/pencil eraser.

I looked in the bag it came in and didn't see any in there. Could it be something already in my tank checking out the new tank mate?

Thanks guys. I'm going to sleep now. I'll check back/update when I wake up.

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could possibly be pyramid snails, check out the stickies by skinz there is info on them and how to remove them.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Loki

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I googled the flat worm (I haven't got out of bed yet) and it isn't it. They are about 1/4" long and wide and fat. I'll get up and see if I can snap a picture.

OP
OP
Loki

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not pyramid snails either. From what I googled. The lights are on now so I'll see I I can get in there and snap a pic :-/

OP
OP
Loki

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay here are some pictures. I found both of them again. Well I found only two. They were right next to each other. I had to gently convince the clam to retract a little to be able to visualize the critters.

Without further ado

Here you can see both of them. Pic is blurry :/
46b201f3-ae3b-0da3.jpg

One has left the party. It may be hard to tell what is the critter. It is barely left and up of dead center of the picture. It has a white stripe on it. I can't tell if the ring around the puffed up part is also it or not.
46b201f3-ae60-a482.jpg

Let me know what you think. Should I get rid of them? If so how? If not why not?

Thank you.

OP
OP
Loki

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also they seem to slide to move. I don't notice any retraction or lifting while moving. It's maintains the same shape while moving.

They are not as puffed up now that the lights are on.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I am looking at the right spot it looks like it has a 1/2 shell? looks like a stomatella snail to me

if so the ones I have are cool if you lift them off the glass they will drop their tail it goes crazy wiggling around to let the snail get away

Last edited:

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure as the pic if not the best. I would remove them if possible just as a precaution

OP
OP
Loki

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! These are it. Sorry about the whole no shell thing. Their shells are covered in some stuff that gave it the appearance of softness. You guys are the best! I just saw one in my sump. So I guess I have them

46b201f3-b63e-628a.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back