Small Pink Crab in Birdsnest

Joe Rogers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a nice simple pink birdsnest colony, partially because I saw a cool little crab living in its branches. The crab is a perfect match to its color, and the LFS mentioned that they hadn’t even noticed it hiding in there. Does anyone have experience in this? Doesn’t look like Trapezia Guttata to me. Pictures coming in once it’s in the tank.

OP
OP
Joe Rogers

Joe Rogers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for the help. I am going to blast some whites and get a video/picture today. I wanted to wait for full PE because it's amazing how closely the crab's color matches the birdsnest's polyps. It looks like a hairy trapezia. It is only a simple pink birdsnest, but this might make it my favorite coral in the tank.

OP
OP
Joe Rogers

Joe Rogers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
112d127757c4ae50d6ac239c82521180.jpg
ff2d826e114c5433c64405b644fa8ba9.jpg
14b21ccec00f1fbaa9e80f79e6d25d4a.jpg
128309ef8f9c85c432cd55347544b7b5.jpg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally bad crabs are shaped like that and are also fuzzy. Are its eyes also pink? If so I would keep an eye out for damaged areas and remove it if you see any.

Just because a crab is living in a colony at a local store does not mean that the coral is healthy. In the wild they may only stay in healthy coral but after shipping coral can stress a lot or die quickly, and the crab doesn't just leave the second the coral decides it's going to go downhill. I would still rely on the looks of the coral to determine health.

OP
OP
Joe Rogers

Joe Rogers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally bad crabs are shaped like that and are also fuzzy. Are its eyes also pink? If so I would keep an eye out for damaged areas and remove it if you see any.

Just because a crab is living in a colony at a local store does not mean that the coral is healthy. In the wild they may only stay in healthy coral but after shipping coral can stress a lot or die quickly, and the crab doesn't just leave the second the coral decides it's going to go downhill. I would still rely on the looks of the coral to determine health.

I will definitely take a better look and see if I can ID it. I can’t tell if it’s eyes are pink to be honest. His color is so perfectly matched the birdsnest that I assumed he had a symbiotic relationship. If not, into the mantis shrimp tank he goes!!

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely take a better look and see if I can ID it. I can’t tell if it’s eyes are pink to be honest. His color is so perfectly matched the birdsnest that I assumed he had a symbiotic relationship. If not, into the mantis shrimp tank he goes!!
I’ve got two in my tanks for the last 18-19 months.
You’ll be fine. Target feed em a bit of chunky food now and then. Pretty soon they will come out and wave claws at dinner time.
The only real bad crab is a hungry crab. The only crab I’ve had eat a fish live and attack was a common hermit from the LFS.

There are a TON of people with these crabs.
FC3013ED-EFAF-46F9-80D4-E3044A757C89.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back